Exergonic Reactions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emminent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Keep getting confused... so are glycolysis, kreb, and ETC all exergonic or endergonic?

Read somewhere it said making atp is endergonic. Bootcamp said glycolysis is exergonic.

Members don't see this ad.

exergonic is release of energy as a result of metabolic activity....glycolysis releases a net 2 ATP, and ATP is energy so its definitely exergonic

i think you have to put in 2 ATP to begin glycolysis so that might be where an endergonic process comes in, not sure lol

glycolysis is overall an exergonic process; the ATP investment in the beginning would be considered an endergonic step though.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
cool thanks guys

and another thing is catabolism should be exergonic b/c it releases energy and anabolism is endergonic right?

What's confusing me, and perhaps others, is whether to consider the creation of ATP exergonic or endergonic. I've laid out the logic of both cases. Feel free to clarify this because I've been stuck.

The case for exergonic:

ATP is used for energy. By equating the two, one's gut would tell him or her that making ATP (i.e. energy) is exergonic. As we know, making bonds releases free energy, since the products are more energetically favorable than the reactants were. This released energy will either go into the surroundings as heat, or be further used within the system.

The case for endergonic:

The energy in ATP is only released when it's converted to ADP. So, when ATP is made, doesn't it require energy, the same energy that will later be released when it's cleaved into ADP and Pi?

How do you reconcile these facts?

1. ATP stores energy that will be released when it's cleaved into ADP and Pi.
2. Breaking bonds requires an input of energy.

What's confusing me, and perhaps others, is whether to consider the creation of ATP exergonic or endergonic. I've laid out the logic of both cases. Feel free to clarify this because I've been stuck.

The case for exergonic:

ATP is used for energy. By equating the two, one's gut would tell him or her that making ATP (i.e. energy) is exergonic. As we know, making bonds releases free energy, since the products are more energetically favorable than the reactants were. This released energy will either go into the surroundings as heat, or be further used within the system.

The case for endergonic:

The energy in ATP is only released when it's converted to ADP. So, when ATP is made, doesn't it require energy, the same energy that will later be released when it's cleaved into ADP and Pi?

How do you reconcile these facts?

1. ATP stores energy that will be released when it's cleaved into ADP and Pi.
2. Breaking bonds requires an input of energy.

The synthesis of ATP from ADP is endergonic. In general in reactions that require energy to make larger molecules in anabolic processes are endergonic. If ATP is being used, it's broken down to ADP, and this process is exergonic.