Exhausted from living a dual life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wepio

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of us non-trads are just flat out exhausted -- physically, emotionally, mentally, and financially -- from trying to play the pre-med game AND stay committed to their first career? I know the reward will be that much better for it, but I am finding it increasingly difficult as time passes to remain fully committed to work and study. For me, I have the professional engineering licensure exam coming up in April and I just dread studying for it.

Members don't see this ad.

Why are you pursuing your PE if you're planning on med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you pursuing your PE if you're planning on med school?

That is a good question. I cannot say for certain when I will get accepted into medical school, but do know that I have a career in engineering. If for nothing else, obtaining my licensure will increase my salary as I continue to pursue admission. (and believe me, this pre-med business has broguht on some serious out-of-pocket expenses) I guess it comes down to having a back-up plan and steady salary/job in the interim. Try as I may, and no matter how much I want it, there exists a real possiblity that it could take a few years. In an ideal world, we can just put aside our old jobs and focus our entire efforts on medicine, but the reality is that sometimes even the most qualified of applicants require a couple tries to get in.

He probably needs the fall back.

That is kind of hurtful. But, more or less it is my safety net until I get int.

I figured that was it. And it certainly makes sense.

However, my thoughts: I've seen a lot of very fine civil engineers take and fail the PE time and time again. As you well know, it's not an easy license to earn. Plus, while it comes with a pay raise, that pay raise is usually linked to greater responsibility, and thus to more hours.

You already recognize this med school plan is a pretty decent gamble, so go all in. Postpone the pay raise of the PE until you need it, i.e., when it's clear engineering is your future. The simple fact is the PE exam will always be there if med school doesn't pan out, but med school won't always be there if you stretch yourself too thin--it is possible to fail out of med school before you ever get in, but it isn't possible to fail the PE exam before taking it. So make a little more of a gamble, forego a few luxuries, spare yourself a major headache, and focus on med school.

Leave the PE for what it is--a back up plan...meaning you go to it after the real plan falls flat.

But those are just my thoughts, and we're all tackling this major process as we see fit.

At the very minimum, do something for you today that isn't future-oriented!

Last edited:
It's a lot to do. I feel burned out sometimes too. But if it's something you gotta do, you do it. While I'm tired of juggling more than one thing at once, I can't wait to come home and study the MCAT. I'm a step closer to my dream everytime I study. When you're burned out, stop studying for a day or two. Then when you come back you'll be ready to study again. Oh, always a good idea to have a backup plan.

That is a good question. I cannot say for certain when I will get accepted into medical school, but do know that I have a career in engineering. If for nothing else, obtaining my licensure will increase my salary as I continue to pursue admission. (and believe me, this pre-med business has broguht on some serious out-of-pocket expenses) I guess it comes down to having a back-up plan and steady salary/job in the interim. Try as I may, and no matter how much I want it, there exists a real possiblity that it could take a few years. In an ideal world, we can just put aside our old jobs and focus our entire efforts on medicine, but the reality is that sometimes even the most qualified of applicants require a couple tries to get in.

That is kind of hurtful. But, more or less it is my safety net until I get int.

Sorry. To me, a fall back is a safety net. I have fall backs, i.e. things I'm doing now and have done before.

I figured that was it. And it certainly makes sense.

However, my thoughts: I've seen a lot of very fine civil engineers take and fail the PE time and time again. It was always that third subject that gave them the most trouble. When they finally realized that their comprehension of structures and geotech wasn't going to help them on the hydrology section, they had to really buckle down and study.

You're already planning on a pretty major gamble--applying to med school isn't a sure thing. So go all in. The PE will always be there if it doesn't pan out, but med school won't always be there if you stretch yourself too thin. It is possible to fail out of med school before you ever get in; it isn't possible to fail out of the PE before taking it. So give yourself a break and focus on med school.

Leave the PE for what it is--a back up plan.

But those are just my thoughts. We're all making our way as we see fit.

Best of luck and do something for you today!

No I agree. In hindsight, I should have gone all in. At this point, MCAT is done, pre-req's are done, and now I'm just filling my time with graduate bioscience courses/TA gigs while I prepare for interviews. The stress/impatience is just piling on right now because I'll hear back from Creighton mid-march and I have this UWSoM interview coming up in a couple weeks, overlaps with the April PE schedule. For sure, the UWSoM interview gets my full attention, and only afterward will I look at PE review materials.

Eh...I misunderstood your position. You're way ahead of me.

By all means, take that PE. Now is the time for hedging your bet. :) (And that wasn't sarcasm.)

But I repeat this: do something for you today.

Eh...I misunderstood your position. You're way ahead of me.

By all means, take that PE. Now is the time for hedging your bet. :) (And that wasn't sarcasm.)

But I repeat this: do something for you today.

Um, I stepped outside today and got some natural light. Oh, and visited my local barista. I know; boring and lame. :oops:

At least you know it was boring and lame. :) Still, there may yet be redemption if that barista was a looker...

If you read my post a few days back, I posted asking fellow SDNers for support. I know exactly how you feel.

I think what I find most helpful is having a plan drawn out, but handling things as they come. My task at hand is organic chemistry II, but there is more to come down the road (and I look forward to tackling it).

Maintaining a first career is hard. Taking exams for your first career is hard (I'm a clinical research monitor by professions and will be taking my certification exam in September... reading FDA guidelines for Good Clinical Practice is not the most exciting thing in the world). But, given the uncertainty of medical admissions it is nice to have a fall back (and a decently paying fall back, I might add).

While I think this has taken its toll somewhat on me, especially physically (since I'm exhausted most of the time), I know juggling a lot at once has to some degree prepared me for medical school (and I'm sure you feel the same way).

How many of us non-trads are just flat out exhausted -- physically, emotionally, mentally, and financially -- from trying to play the pre-med game AND stay committed to their first career? I know the reward will be that much better for it, but I am finding it increasingly difficult as time passes to remain fully committed to work and study. For me, I have the professional engineering licensure exam coming up in April and I just dread studying for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I read the title and thought this was my ex-boyfriend. :thumbdown:

tee-hee, I read the title and thought it was my soon-to-be-ex-husband. They might know each other. Perhaps they are in the same club.

OP, the only advice I can give is to divide each task (studying for MCAT/studying for your engineering license) into discrete steps and do a little each day, but don't kick yourself if life happens and you get sidetracked. Just jump back on the wagon. Good luck, and don't forget to exercise. It's a good stress reliever and brain-focuser. Is that even a real term? Plus, the cute barista might notice your impressive biceps when you not-so-subtly point out the size of the cup you would like to order.

Congratulations on accomplishing so much! Kuddos to you to getting to this point in engineering. My husband is studying for the civil engineering PE exam as I'm writing this, so yea, one of his books are bigger than my all of my MCAT books all together! Hard stuff!

Don't listen to the people above about failing and blah, blah, blah. We can all fail any exam: MCAT, classes or PE exam. Obviously you are studying for it, have your employer cover the costs of the exam and the books and you should feel better financially if you by any chance have to take it again. If you're doing this pre-med route, it sounds to me like you know what it takes to be successful and know what you need to do to pass, especially since you have already passed your FE exam. :) My husband found some really good books from friends that all have passed, so if you need the titles PM me. :)

That said, it does take a lot of work and time out of your day studying for the PE exam. Needless to say, how different it is from MCAT, biology, etc. But that is what you need to do professionally - that is your reality right now and that's what you have to do. My husband's best friend is starting law school in the fall and he is taking his PE exam before hand. Why, you ask? Because he wants to be a Professional Engineer. What's wrong with that? :)

I understand how you feel somewhat in regards to living a dual life. I am an ICU nurse, a pediatric one at that. I have been in that profession for barely a year and I feel incompetent. I feel as though I should be reading a ton of books about critical care, attending a multitude of lectures by our physicians, working on research projects (medical and nursing) that our teaching hospital does, take the ECMO class, sit for my Critical Care Nursing exam, get my pediatric nursing certification and a lot more other stuff. But as much as it relates to healthcare and I would LOVE to do any of it, I know that I am not one of those brilliant people who can multitask and get a 100% on everything. I really want to do well on the MCAT, so my dual life has pretty much been lop-sided on the MCAT side. My work has fallen to a part time position, reduced to feelings of inadequateness at work and I have no time for partying or hanging out with my friends. But that is my choice, one I'm making consciously because I know that in order for me to do well on the MCAT I need to put everything else aside. It's hard to do because I feel left out and lonely, but I keep reminding myself that this is temporary, takes time and after all, my studying will only help me be successful in what I REALLY want to do.

I am a firm believer in doing what you want and if your heart lies in finishing the PE exam, it's better you try it and finish it instead of thinking about "what ifs." For med school, whether you pass it or not, would probably not matter a whole lot, but it would make you more confident as an individual and THAT is more important than anything else. You are an adult person and you know your time commitments, what it takes for you to be successful... so do it. And the power to you.

Good luck. :)

Congratulations on accomplishing so much! Kuddos to you to getting to this point in engineering. My husband is studying for the civil engineering PE exam as I'm writing this, so yea, one of his books are bigger than my all of my MCAT books all together! Hard stuff!

Don't listen to the people above about failing and blah, blah, blah. We can all fail any exam: MCAT, classes or PE exam. Obviously you are studying for it, have your employer cover the costs of the exam and the books and you should feel better financially if you by any chance have to take it again. If you're doing this pre-med route, it sounds to me like you know what it takes to be successful and know what you need to do to pass, especially since you have already passed your FE exam. :) My husband found some really good books from friends that all have passed, so if you need the titles PM me. :)

That said, it does take a lot of work and time out of your day studying for the PE exam. Needless to say, how different it is from MCAT, biology, etc. But that is what you need to do professionally - that is your reality right now and that's what you have to do. My husband's best friend is starting law school in the fall and he is taking his PE exam before hand. Why, you ask? Because he wants to be a Professional Engineer. What's wrong with that? :)

I understand how you feel somewhat in regards to living a dual life. I am an ICU nurse, a pediatric one at that. I have been in that profession for barely a year and I feel incompetent. I feel as though I should be reading a ton of books about critical care, attending a multitude of lectures by our physicians, working on research projects (medical and nursing) that our teaching hospital does, take the ECMO class, sit for my Critical Care Nursing exam, get my pediatric nursing certification and a lot more other stuff. But as much as it relates to healthcare and I would LOVE to do any of it, I know that I am not one of those brilliant people who can multitask and get a 100% on everything. I really want to do well on the MCAT, so my dual life has pretty much been lop-sided on the MCAT side. My work has fallen to a part time position, reduced to feelings of inadequateness at work and I have no time for partying or hanging out with my friends. But that is my choice, one I'm making consciously because I know that in order for me to do well on the MCAT I need to put everything else aside. It's hard to do because I feel left out and lonely, but I keep reminding myself that this is temporary, takes time and after all, my studying will only help me be successful in what I REALLY want to do.

I am a firm believer in doing what you want and if your heart lies in finishing the PE exam, it's better you try it and finish it instead of thinking about "what ifs." For med school, whether you pass it or not, would probably not matter a whole lot, but it would make you more confident as an individual and THAT is more important than anything else. You are an adult person and you know your time commitments, what it takes for you to be successful... so do it. And the power to you.

Good luck. :)

Wow, you seem really busy -- work, continuing education, and pre-med woes. It is good that you have a steady emotional/financial support system through your husband and both your jobs (best of luck to him, by the way, on the PE come this April!). You're smarter than I am about prioritizing. I've just been trying to do it all for the past four years.

It's funny you should mention "what ifs" because even though it's a back plan in case of a third applicaton cycle (So God help me, I may just lose my mind if that happens), it'll be nice to cloes the chapter on engineering with the licensure. Sort of like my personal finish line. I dunno. We'll have to see. jOne thing is for sure, I ain't going to retake it this October if I matriculate this fall!

Are you going to take the MCAT this summer?

It's a lot to do. I feel burned out sometimes too. But if it's something you gotta do, you do it. While I'm tired of juggling more than one thing at once, I can't wait to come home and study the MCAT. I'm a step closer to my dream everytime I study. When you're burned out, stop studying for a day or two. Then when you come back you'll be ready to study again. Oh, always a good idea to have a backup plan.

This is me too. It's good to know there are others out there like this!

Hi wepio... :)

I think you make me sound busier than I actually am. :) Having a supportive husband is definitely a big plus. I am very glad he is a professional person because he truly understands when I need the time by myself to study and he doesn't complain. Just like, I give him his when he needs it.

I'm taking the MCAT in May (22nd!) and will retake if needed in August probably. I know both dates are kinda later than ideal, but I'm a non-trad student and have had kind of a hard time reviewing everything I had studied years ago, so I felt like I needed more time. We'll see what the real score shows... hehe

In terms of applying... you know, it's a crap shoot, it's a luck thing partially and then of course the grades and MCAT, personal statement, blah, blah, blah matters. I've spoken to many med students and some have applied with great qualifications and didn't get in till the 2nd or 3rd try and some had crappy ones and got in from the first try. I think it depends on what school, who else is applying with you and who reads your application. I've been hearing at work that they are raising the number of seats in most med schools in the next couple of years (I know that sounds like a really long time to us!) and they will be taking more students. That's also a plus. Keep your chin up high, you'll get it, it's just a matter of *when* and not *if*.

Dude I am in the same boat as you. I work as a web systems programmer full time, taking classes, studying for mcats, volunteer, shadow etc...

It is taxing... somedays I get home from work and literally collapse on my bed and cant do anything. I never used to drink coffee but now I feel I need it.

Although, I completely think its worth it and I am excited to get it over with and hopefully get accepted into med school:thumbup:

Dude I am in the same boat as you. I work as a web systems programmer full time, taking classes, studying for mcats, volunteer, shadow etc...

It is taxing... somedays I get home from work and literally collapse on my bed and cant do anything. I never used to drink coffee but now I feel I need it.

Although, I completely think its worth it and I am excited to get it over with and hopefully get accepted into med school:thumbup:

Yeah, totally. I never liked the taste (always loved the smell), but now I go to Starbuck's and just get like straight quad-espressos. Forget the venti ounces of sugary nonsense. Just give me the caffeine; get my fix!

Haha, you guys are funny. I work nights, so caffeine is my best friend.

Yesterday in my Kaplan strategies class the instructor was giving us a lecture (in the evening when everyone is super tired and yawning) about "weaning yourself off of caffeine" Yeah, right! I think he was truly surprised to see how many people laughed at his comment...

Yeah, totally. I never liked the taste (always loved the smell), but now I go to Starbuck's and just get like straight quad-espressos. Forget the venti ounces of sugary nonsense. Just give me the caffeine; get my fix!

I am a card-carrying fan of the venti ounces of sugary nonsense. You, sir, might be needing this:

moz-screenshot-9.png
starbucks-IV.jpg

I wonder if I should invest in some good caffeine pills... im not a big fan of the taste of coffee, or in its ridiculous diuretic effect

:love:

'nuff said.

I wonder if I should invest in some good caffeine pills... im not a big fan of the taste of coffee, or in its ridiculous diuretic effect

Having been to an emergency room from too many of the aforementioned pills, I'd advise caution. One is enough. Two is a lot. They bring the pain.

I am a card-carrying fan of the venti ounces of sugary nonsense.

I'll see your IV drip and raise you what appears to be a Starbuck's powered rocket pack?!?

starbucks.jpg

bleh... With enough practice, you too will develop bladder capacities of epic proportions!

I'll see your IV drip and raise you what appears to be a Starbuck's powered rocket pack?!?

starbucks.jpg

bleh... With enough practice, you too will develop bladder capacities of epic proportions!

:love::love: OOOHH!!! I WANT!!!!

One industrial-sized whole-milk White Mocha, please.

I feel ya Wepio. Just that I'm in the reverse situation. Passed my PE in ME exam this past Oct and working on my april 10th MCAT (well, not really working on it until spring break due to school/work/volunteer). I didn't see you mentioned your field, but us ME are a bit more fortunate as there are a lot less standards/codes/ect that we had to know for the actual exam. All I brought along was one reference book compared to the suitcases dragged in by the Civil guys.:D I didn't have a good feeling coming out considering I didn't finish reviewing the book and didn't get a chance to do as many practice problems as I would have liked, but that's when your test taking skills kick in (working backward, dimensional analysis, rounding, ect..), and I was lucky enough to have passed.

Wish I could work one time for a big defense company like Boeing/Lockheed/Raytheon as a guidance, navigation, and controls engineer, but I guess those comps are uber picky and I just don't have the 5-10 years exp or PhD qualification.

Anyway, back to you (or any other engineering/tech folks). If you don't mind me asking, what's your motivation/intent for pursuing medicine? Just like to compare my reasons, mindset, and motivation compared to others with similar bg.

I feel ya Wepio. Just that I'm in the reverse situation. Passed my PE in ME exam this past Oct and working on my april 10th MCAT (well, not really working on it until spring break due to school/work/volunteer). I didn't see you mentioned your field, but us ME are a bit more fortunate as there are a lot less standards/codes/ect that we had to know for the actual exam. All I brought along was one reference book compared to the suitcases dragged in by the Civil guys.:D I didn't have a good feeling coming out considering I didn't finish reviewing the book and didn't get a chance to do as many practice problems as I would have liked, but that's when your test taking skills kick in (working backward, dimensional analysis, rounding, ect..), and I was lucky enough to have passed.

Wish I could work one time for a big defense company like Boeing/Lockheed/Raytheon as a guidance, navigation, and controls engineer, but I guess those comps are uber picky and I just don't have the 5-10 years exp or PhD qualification.

Anyway, back to you (or any other engineering/tech folks). If you don't mind me asking, what's your motivation/intent for pursuing medicine? Just like to compare my reasons, mindset, and motivation compared to others with similar bg.

Good work on getting your PE (MD/PhD's? MD/PE's are cooler by far!). But I do agree. The trend from those super big companies who do all the cool engineering stuff basiclly require PhD's. Anyways, I will be taking the civil test, unfortunately. The good thing is that most people have trouble with the structural portion, and that's all I have been doing for 4 years.

Motivations? Well, I certainly can't speak for other engineers, but I feel it's sort of a lateral move, just more refined to what interests me. I see the human body as a big gooey system, similar to that of the structures I design (except the gooey part!). Form, function, interdependancies; it's all there. Modes of failure, diagnosis, problem sovling, etc. It's just more of a humanistic engineering science to me. Plus, I like to teach and share knowledge, and learn new stuff. Hopefully I'll end up at a teaching hospital in the waning years of my career. Engineering just got real boring, real fast, and I feel stagnant. I equate it to doing homework problems all day at the office. A career in medicine just seems to keep evovling and you never stop learning cool new things. The personal/professional growth process from student life, residency (this part I look forward to. I'm sort of a masochist in that I get a rush from all-nighters, pressures of deadlines and running at 100% for what appears to be no end), to attending gives you a sense of progress throughout your career.

Amen to this. I can't afford to go to a coffee shop regularly, so I'm thinking about investing in a coffee maker. I can't stand the taste of normal coffee; Starbucks Frappuccinos and other milky, flavored coffee drinks are quite good with me, though. Does anyone have any recommendations for coffee preparation to make it taste less like coffee? A Russian nurse once showed me a trick, something about filtering twice, but I can't recall it exactly...

a good recipe for a white chocolate mocha, if you buy an espresso machine: put ~ 10 oz. of milk in a large coffee cup w/ 1/4 cup of white chocolate chips. microwave ~ 2 min. until hot, and then add a TEENY pinch (like 5 grains) of salt (I know how it sounds, but trust me). Add 1/8 tsp. vanilla (optional). Brew a 2-cup pot of espresso using good coffee (my favorite brand is Seattle's Best--better than Starbucks imo, even though Starbucks owns the company). Add to the milk, stir, and top w/ whipped cream. tweak the ratio of stuff to your liking, but I find this is the closest I can get to a real starbucks white mocha--probably because I don't have any crack to add to the mix.

Straight black coffee for me, my non-traditional metabolism doesn't permit me to add chocolate/cream/sugar etc to my coffee. Especially when being on a minimum of a one pot a day regimen.

To the OP: It does get exhausting, I find it to be ALOT harder to do this in the winter (lack of sun/icy roads, ets) than in the spring and summer.

put ~ 10 oz. of milk in a large coffee cup w/ 1/4 cup of white chocolate chips.

Whaaa...? Oh my. :)

and then add a TEENY pinch (like 5 grains) of salt (I know how it sounds, but trust me).

Actually, salt enhances the flavor of sweetnees. (eg: you put salt in cookie recipes and the like)

It does get exhausting, I find it to be ALOT harder to do this in the winter (lack of sun/icy roads, ets) than in the spring and summer.

Spring sucks. Everybody's sorting through their acceptances and deciding which med-school to go to. Going through that last years as an observer was just... Argh.

The application process while working IS a bit grueling. What I finally concluded that if I wasn't willing to go through that and potentially reapply if need be, then I probably am not really committed to going through med school. Those stresses aren't going to be any less when you start. If anything, they accelerate.