Exhausted subject but ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a high school junior and have been accepted to a few colleges: Emory, USC, PSU, and UCONN. However, UCONN is offering me their 8 year medical program. Because of my age, PSU is offering me a 7year alternative but it doesn't guarantee medical school until my sophmore year if i do well. I've really cut my options down to USC(I live nearby) and UCONN. In both cases I would be doing my senior year of hs while I am doing my freshman year in college. I could actually apply to different schools/programs next year as a freshman still since I would still be considered a hs senior even tho I will be going to college early. I am torn between the two schools because USC would be a better undergrad school and possibly better med school if I could get in. However, UCONN does give me a guarantee at their med school and I can apply out if I do well during the 4 years undergrad. But if I do well at UCONN and USC, wouldn't going to USC make me a better candidate? Also do residencies care what medical school you go to? at all? How good or reputable is UCONN medical school anyways? I don't want to limit myself but the opportunity of a guarantee is nice too.

Here are some info on the two schools:
UCONN- honors, 1/2 tution scholarship
USC- honors for general ed, honors science, 1/2 tution scholarship

Members don't see this ad.

I dont know what the rep of USC is out there, but its really not known to be a premed powerhouse. You're not getting much added in terms of "prestige" if thats what you're asking about. I'd definitely go to UConn and apply out if I dont like it there.

ya, I would go for the UCONN. They did just beat DUKE. You can't ask for anything more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by exmike
I dont know what the rep of USC is out there, but its really not known to be a premed powerhouse. You're not getting much added in terms of "prestige" if thats what you're asking about. I'd definitely go to UConn and apply out if I dont like it there.

USC is much more a premed powerhouse than UConn is. Plus its medical school is very highly regarded. I havent heard anything about UConn medical school to be honest. Im sure its great if youre instate, but nationally USC is much better known. Ive heard good things about USC academically as well, much moreso than UConn.

Plus, dont ever underestimate the benefits of warm weather and being close to home.

If it was me, Id do USC, but either choice sounds great. Looks like you can't make a bad decision here.

USC undergrad is moving up in the world. When I was applying to undergrads, it was 47th in the nation, and now it is 25 or so. I definately think it is a lot better college than Uconn. Besides, if you have the ability now to get into a BS/MD program, you will be able to get into a medical school 4 years from now a lot better than UConn. I'd go where you feel the most comfortable and really ignore the med school part (garunteed or not)

Despite where I choose, should i try to apply to schools next year as a freshman and use the fact that I am in college as a leverage in the admissions process? Would it be worth it to apply to the other special medical programs that have top medical schools like northwestern?

Originally posted by youngin
I am currently a high school junior and have been accepted to a few colleges: Emory, USC, PSU, and UCONN. However, UCONN is offering me their 8 year medical program. Because of my age, PSU is offering me a 7year alternative but it doesn't guarantee medical school until my sophmore year if i do well. I've really cut my options down to USC(I live nearby) and UCONN.

I know this isn't a choice, but why not UCLA or UCB for undergrad? Seems like most would prefer these over USC. I'm assuming you could have gotten in fairly easily since you were accepted to a few bs/md combined programs. I would stay away from combined programs.

But basically, for the most part it won't matter where you go to undergrad for the purposes of medical school admissions. Yes, it might matter for a few schools, but for the most part it's a total non-issue.

I couldn't apply to that many programs this year because only a few would allow me to apply as a junior. Otherwise I would have applied to many more which includes the UCs.

I wouldn't worry at all about rankings and prestige. If you are smart enough to be offered these programs now, I think you will do just fine anywhere.

What so you like about UCONN and USC? Which campus did you prefer? Did you like the students you met? Which coast do you want to live on? Go to a college that you will enjoy! Being happy for the next four years is much more important than which school ranks higher.

I was part of the post-bacc program at UCONN last year and I am now an MS1 at UCONN. I can tell you that the UCONN campus at Storrs is very nice, with lots of new construction going on. There is however a housing shortage despite the new dorms that have been built, but they are working on that. In addition, Storrs is pretty rural - one advantage is the UConn dairy barn which makes awesome ice cream. If you don't have a car you may feel pretty isolated; however, with a car you are a couple of hours from NYC and Boston.

I love med school at UCONN. My classmates are great and the faculty is extremely supportive. It is pass/fail so there is very little of the cut-throat, gunner behavior that some med students have to deal with.

So think about which school fits you best geographically, socially and academically and don't obsess about rankings. I think enjoying the college experience should be your priority and only you know which school would be the best fit for you.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about UConn undergrad or med.

Thanks, i agree that the rankings aren't important. The only thing is i want to go to a school that will give me an opportunity to go to a top med school later like wash u or at least a top residency. Also looking at the mcat scores/gpa/acceptance rate, there is a fairly noticeable difference but i don't know how much that translates into how reputable uconn med school is when i wish to get a residency.

Originally posted by Gleevec
USC is much more a premed powerhouse than UConn is. Plus its medical school is very highly regarded. I havent heard anything about UConn medical school to be honest. Im sure its great if youre instate, but nationally USC is much better known. Ive heard good things about USC academically as well, much moreso than UConn.

Plus, dont ever underestimate the benefits of warm weather and being close to home.

If it was me, Id do USC, but either choice sounds great. Looks like you can't make a bad decision here.

Gleevec, no offense, but you seem to have a lot of opinion on California schools even though you're from texas. I'm just wondering where you get your information? Is USC's reputation good in texas? just courious.

dont do any program that guarantees you admission into med school after 4yrs or whatever. why? b/c you dont know if you want to go into medicine or not. ive "known" ive always wanted to go into medicine my entire life. being in high school, you havent tasted enough of real life to know accurately what you want to do: you havent had the liberation of not being around your parents 24/7, you havent had a one-night-stand with some random chick at a frat party, you havent tried any of the really "good" drugs, you havent attempted suicide/tried to bring down someone who was attempting suicide (attempting, not gesturing), you havent coped with LDRs, you havent done anything functionally in a hospital/clinic, you havent been tempted by promises of a faster track to knowledge, power, money, women that some other majors/disciplines might give and yet still chosen medicine in the end, etc etc.

sorry. i would recommend going to whatever school you like as a straight up regular major, then let yourself decide whether or not you want to be a doctor.

I just replied to your PM.

It is great to set high goals for yourself, but take things one step at a time. There are plenty of great med schools and each one is unique. Don't think " I want to go to Wash U or Hopkins" just because of their reputation. You should choose your top choice schools based on many factors including location, research, type of curriculum and the all the other little things that make each school different.

Excel as an undergrad and develop into an interesting, mature well-rounded person. Then worry about figuring out what med school you want to attend. There are no guarentees in this process so don't think you can map out your whole life through residency before you even start undergrad.

Thanks beanbean, does anyone have the list of what residencies specifically where UCONN students get into?

My gosh, you are an awfully driven kid. What's the hurry? Finish up high school, apply to a bunch of colleges that you're interested in attending and then choose the school that feels like the best fit.

Find a major that you'll enjoy, do well in y our premed course work and then find a medical school that is right for you.

Timing is important, enjoying life is a necessity, and knowing how to maintain a healthy balance is the goal. Right now, you seem a little to anxious.
2 years ago, I didn't know which school I wanted to attend for medical school. I'm going to be at NYU. But I've weighed my options and it was the right choice for me. I just think it's too early for you to make that commitment.

I mean, just get laid. Seriously, enjoy life, make love to a woman, and let things unfold naturally. Right now, I'm loving life. I'm not stressing about any of it.

The only real reason I am leaving early is because the only alternate is me attending the local community college for most of my classes and taking english at my hs. That would be worse in my opinion especially since most of my friends have already graduated hs or are going to this year. What type of senior year would it be if I would have to spend it at the local cc and with most of my friends gone, it makes me less attached to my hs.

Btw, I can always apply again next year while i am a college freshman. My only concern is it may be a little too much to do while begining college. Also if i should apply out after one year, what school would be better to attend

I mean, just get laid. Seriously, enjoy life, make love to a woman, and let things unfold naturally.

Sure, I understand your sentiment, but every time I hear this I want to take a drill to my head. No. Scratch that. Your head. Check for me, but I'm going to bet that you didn't spend your undergrad as a cock-slinging syph-trap.

Hope that Helps

P 'College: Beer, Lacrosse and *****.' ShankOut

Originally posted by exmike
Gleevec, no offense, but you seem to have a lot of opinion on California schools even though you're from texas. I'm just wondering where you get your information? Is USC's reputation good in texas? just courious.

90% of my relatives live in Cali, I go there regularly for vacation, best friends live there, parents about to move there, so on...

Anyone know where you would be able to find the list of residencies that UCONN students get in cuz the interviewer said that they had a solid match rate but to what schools?

Call up UConn and ask them to send you a match list if it is that important to your decision.

I can't believe that as a high school student you are concerned with match lists. Any school will probably have a substantial change in their match list by the time it would apply to you - 8 years from now!

No matter where you go to med school if you excel on your clinical rotations and your boards - you will get a good residency! Yes, top schools send more people to top programs, just like top universities send more students to top med schools.

You will not start residency for at least 8 years. If you are 17 years now - think about what your life was like when you were nine and how much you have changed since then. You will grow and mature a great deal in the next 8 years - medicine and medical schools will also continue to evolve and change.

So, just please stop worrying about being the best and just be happy!:)

I agree with you. See but that is the thing cuz if top universities send kids to top med schools more than would usc be better? Don't want to limit myself. But considering that if you are top at your school wit solid mcats then you could get where you would want to.

yea...chill out a bit. I was driven like that too. Graduated HS early, wanted to do college in 3 yrs...etc. But now, as i've become more mature, ;) , i do realize that there's no reason to rush things. Read the thread about starting medschool in ur 20s/30s/40s.

You might not want to hear this, i used to think the people who said that to me were just lazy bums. But seriously, there's much more to life than school, where you end up, how much money you make....there's much pleasure to be had.

Also, i couldn't imagine having to stay at my current school any longer, as a junior, i can't wait to graduate. So i dunno about being at one institution for 7-8 yrs, altho i'd applaud the enthusiasm/brains that got you in.

Good luck!