Existential or humanistic Phd / PsyD programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

memiller

Reaction score
I am very interested in existential psychology and have felt a strong connection to it. I believe this is something I want in my doctoral program I work towards in the future. I know Duquesne University has a wonderful program. Does anyone know of any other PhD or PsyD programs with this focus that are from respected universities?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

From respected programs? I can think of a diploma mill that does this. I think your bets bet is to find a program that fits your other needs pretty well and get additional training in these along the way.

Reactions: 3 users
To add to the above, I might look at specific researchers who are doing the type of work that interests you rather than looking at entire programs. A particular researcher, for example, might be taking doctoral students even if the program as a whole doesn't have a specific existential or humanistic concentration.

You didn't mention anything about it, but just in case: if your goal includes practicing clinically, I don't imagine a degree in existential or humanistic psych would get you there (unless it's a sub-area of a larger clinical/counseling/school psych program).

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am very interested in existential psychology and have felt a strong connection to it. I believe this is something I want in my doctoral program I work towards in the future. I know Duquesne University has a wonderful program. Does anyone know of any other PhD or PsyD programs with this focus that are from respected universities?

Thank you
I think it's important to be familiar with existential psychology (the body of work, existentialist philosophers, issues such as confronting the chaos/irrationality of the universe, the fact that we are all "thrown" into a particular place in that universe, that 'existence precedes essence,' problems of pain, death, misery, limitation, futility, etc. and the major authors such as Kierkegaard, Heidegger, Yalom, etc.).

But I don't see it as a viable sole or primary theoretical orientation or approach in the modern era. Maybe in niche practices in large cities? What are you going to do when someone presents with, say, panic d/o with agoraphobia or PTSD? I would argue that standard of care for those conditions that should be offered (by you, or by referral) would be the relevant protocols (panic control treatment or CPT/PE/EMDR for PTSD).

Last edited:
I think it's important to be familiar with existential psychology (the body of work, existentialist philosophers, issues such as confronting the chaos/irrationality of the universe, the fact that we are all "thrown" into a paticular place in that universe, that 'existence precedes essence,' problems of pain, death, misery, limitation, futility, etc. and the major authors such as Kierkegaard, Heidegger, Yalom, etc.).

But I don't see it as a viable sole or primary theoretical orientation or approach in the modern era. Maybe in niche practices in large cities? What are you going to do when someone presents with, say, panic d/o with agoraphobia or PTSD? I would argue that standard of care for those conditions that should be offered (by you, or by referral) would be the relevant protocols (panic control treatment or CPT/PE/EMDR for PTSD).
I agree with this.

I was a big philosophy person before I moved into psychology and this still plays a big role in my clinical work that is largely grounded in cognitive behavioral principles.

But there are absolutely spaces to explore topics such as hopelessness and existential dread within a cognitive behavioral approach (better understanding connections between existential thoughts and emotions experienced, strategies to engage in behaviors consistent with our worldview) or an Acceptance and Commitment Therapy approach (pursuing specific types of meaning via actual, tangible behavior that benefit us even if we question the overall purpose of existence).

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with this.

I was a big philosophy person before I moved into psychology and this still plays a big role in my clinical work that is largely grounded in cognitive behavioral principles.

But there are absolutely spaces to explore topics such as hopelessness and existential dread within a cognitive behavioral approach (better understanding connections between existential thoughts and emotions experienced, strategies to engage in behaviors consistent with our worldview) or an Acceptance and Commitment Therapy approach (pursuing specific types of meaning via actual, tangible behavior that benefit us even if we question the overall purpose of existence).
Believe it or not, I have been using a lot of Nietzsche's framework of distinguishing between 'life-affirming' behaviors/energies vs. 'life-denying' behaviors/energies, especially in context of dealing with suppression of instinctual needs for sexual expression, handling conflict, or appropriate assertiveness behaviors. I think I read every book Nietzsche ever wrote in my first two years of undergrad (30+ years ago) but I really need to re-read him now at 50 as opposed to age 18-19.

Believe it or not, I have been using a lot of Nietzsche's framework of distinguishing between 'life-affirming' behaviors/energies vs. 'life-denying' behaviors/energies, especially in context of dealing with suppression of instinctual needs for sexual expression, handling conflict, or appropriate assertiveness behaviors. I think I read every book Nietzsche ever wrote in my first two years of undergrad (30+ years ago) but I really need to re-read him now at 50 as opposed to age 18-19.
That's awesome and I think a great way to balance our own interests with our clinical work.

Heideggerian ontology plays a major part of my therapy core - distinguishing between being thrown in the world (inertia, societal expectations of what we're supposed to do) and what we can intentionally choose to do, care about self as a being versus a being who merely exists, angst/anxiety as a source of behavioral change, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
That's awesome and I think a great way to balance our own interests with our clinical work.

Heideggerian ontology plays a major part of my therapy core - distinguishing between being thrown in the world (inertia, societal expectations of what we're supposed to do) and what we can intentionally choose to do, care about self as a being versus a being who merely exists, angst/anxiety as a source of behavioral change, etc.
Agreed. These concepts are quite compatible with a cognitive-behavioral framework and can be artfully blended with them. Beck's work came straight out of his understanding/readings of the Stoic philosophers and the dialogues of Plato.

Do you find your familiarity with Heidegger to be useful/orienting in your work with veterans (e.g., implementing CPT, dealing with life after trauma)?

Agreed. These concepts are quite compatible with a cognitive-behavioral framework and can be artfully blended with them. Beck's work came straight out of his understanding/readings of the Stoic philosophers and the dialogues of Plato.
The real trick and challenge is to package any of this into tangible metaphor about cars or plumbing (which I think I've gotten really good at).
Do you find your familiarity with Heidegger to be useful/orienting in your work with veterans (e.g., implementing CPT, dealing with life after trauma)?
For me, I think these and other philosophical perspectives are generally a helpful guide for me, especially when a straight EBP approach doesn't seem to be working or would be most helpful.

On a session by session level, it probably gives me more ability to broaden the scope of therapy to (hopefully better) explore overarching themes such as trust within the CPT context for people who would benefit from this.

However, I try to be very selective in how I do this and generally avoid it with veterans who are more concrete versus people who are naturally introspective but may not have had as much experience doing it, either because it hasn't been positively reinforced, they are so busy and stressed with life things, or because they have been overwhelmed by other aspects of their mental health such as trauma, depression, anxiety etc that there hasn't been the space to for meta-cognitive stuff to happen.

As others have said, you are likely better served pursuing a more mainstream training program in clinical or counseling psych, and finding a mentor that is doing work in an area of interest. There are likely places where you can overlay ideas and frameworks with an empirically validated treatment like CBT. There may be opportunities after graduating to pursue more specific study at an institute, though they are likely only in a big city like NYC, Chicago, etc. Yalom approach (as previously mentioned) is amenable to a number of different frameworks. Thematically, you'll find a lot of different referral questions end up in the existential range, though most patients don't come in asking about that.

1) A clinical or counseling program that focuses on that treatment modality= licensure.
2) A humanistic/existential PhD/PsyD= no licensure.
3) In his later days, Rogers explored some of the precursors to "distance learning". This has led to predatory online programs using the term "humanistic". You should be very cautious about that.
4) I would suggest that you consider the financial aspects of this type of practice. Remember that people will need to take time off work, and be able to pay for your services. I would imagine that the humanistic type of practice would have a more limited patient base. It also seems that religious groups that provide "definitely not psychotherapy" like to use this mode of treatment. So you would have to compete against "free".