expanding Army HPSP/USUHS commitment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonofva

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was talking with MG Dire recently, who was discussing his push to extend the commitment for HPSP from 4 years to 4 years active/3 years reserve (1 weekend a month/two weeks a year). USUHS would go from 5 years active to 7 years active.

his argument was that people would continue to keep taking the scholarship because medical school was so expensive.

this may never come to fruition, but i'd love to hear some thoughts...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Was talking with MG Dire recently, who was discussing his push to extend the commitment for HPSP from 4 years to 4 years active/3 years reserve (1 weekend a month/two weeks a year). USUHS would go from 5 years active to 7 years active.

his argument was that people would continue to keep taking the scholarship because medical school was so expensive.

this may never come to fruition, but i'd love to hear some thoughts...

I think, as I have always thought, that no American citizen should be allowed to indenture themselves to the military for more than 4 years. I'm not sure that any length of unbreakable military obligation is consistent with our values, but 4 years is probably a reasonable compromise between the ideal and the practical. However this thing the medical corps does where a 22 year old can accumulate an obligation that will last until he's 40 is un-American.

On a practical note, forcing people to stay against their will for more than 4 years is a great way to get very senior officers that are so dissatisfied and misanthropic that they can cripple an entire organization. This is not something the Army should want to buy. I have no idea if medical students would go for this, but if they do its still not a good idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
The entire organization is already crippled. Dissatisfied medical officers are a part of it, but they take them out of the equation by giving them no power whatsoever. The rest of the crippling effect is entirely due to poor leadership, like MG Dire if this is accurate.

MG Dire. Good name.

Doesn't even know the current USU obligation. A reserve commitment is a huge problem post AD for most future jobs. Employee protections don't apply when you are the employer and have to keep the lights on. He'd be better off just adding a year to the AD payback while cutting pay. Might as well drive the system off the cliff.

This is just pie in the sky. USU is already 7 year obligation. Most military contracts are for 8 years (which includes individual ready reserve). Most HPSP who did residency through the military owe anywhere from 1-3 years of IRR depending on the length of their residency and payback. I guess he's proposing changing the IRR component to regular reserve with the drilling once a month and 2 weeks a year. That would be awful. I don't know who would want to sign up for this. I just got out. I've been in for 11 and I am making a clean break. I did not even really consider doing reserves. Not worth the hassle for the little pension I'd be entitled to at retirement.