Expectant Father 2 weeks after start of internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TreeOfLife

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help!!! Not sure how to go about handling this one. My wife is expecting our first child on July 13th, only a few weeks into my internship year. I'd like to take sometime off for the delivery etc. How do you think this will be dealt with? Perhaps I could delay the start of my internship year by a month? Anyone ever heard of this?

:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Delaying the start is tough, July is a tough enough month with everyone doing what they're supposed to do. I would wait until AFTER you've matched and then contact your new program director and try to work something out. You may be able to get a week off or so but it really depends on the specialty and specific program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tree of Life,

I'm in the same boat that you are. We are due July 10. I'm actually doing OB, so i'm going to do an FP rotation first-that way I don't piss any of my "important" attendings off when I take a few days off (this is our third and my wife has other help).

Don't forget that most programs offer paternity, as well as maternity leave for residents. It might be a good alternative to exahausting your precious vacation time early in the year.

Thanks for the support and advice everyone!

Happy New Year!!!!!

Hi,
Any of you residents delivered/ will deliver during the intern yr? how does the maternity leave work? does it depend on the hospital/contract? was interested to know of NY/NJ hospitals.
Appreciate any feedback.

docv said:
Hi,
Any of you residents delivered/ will deliver during the intern yr? how does the maternity leave work? does it depend on the hospital/contract? was interested to know of NY/NJ hospitals.
Appreciate any feedback.

Happened to me and my wife, she delivered during the first week. You have to check the program's policy, but also you should know that there are a time requirements and you may have to make stuff up if you take too much time off. My advise is that once you match, talk to the PD. If you have a good program, they can put you on easy rotations early on. I can tell you, however, that it does suck. Working 80 hours/wk plus commute time is a alot away from the family. Also, think about trying to match where you have family and friends. Picking up a moving and having a new baby can be quite isolating for your wife if she plans on staying at home.

Ed

There's always the possibility of early delivery ;) j/k - Take paternity leave for the first two weeks, but be careful because there is usually a fixed amount of paternity leave over the entire residency (probably 2 weeks max). That might pose if problem if you decide to have another child. Try to do whatever you can to avoid burning your vacation time in the first two weeks of residency - you WILL need it and it can make or break your year.

Are you in residency now or going to be in residency?
If you are matching look for a program that has had deliveries of their residents and are family friendly and make this your #1 choice as to where to go. Do not go to a residency program that does not support you or you will find yourself miserable-- I am talking from experience!!!!!!!

Good luck. email me specifics if you want more advice [email protected]