Expected earnings from 70/30 outpatient split job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks, guys. I guess I didn’t realize that in addition to removing the arbitrary requirements to achieve certain levels of documentation for subjective and objective sections of the note, they also reworked and made more explicit some of the criterion tables for MDM.

I do inpatient and outpatient work. So I guess I need to read through that document to see if the new way to determine the level of MDM only applies to outpatient work, or if I still have to score problem points per the old tables in the hospital setting.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks, guys. I guess I didn’t realize that in addition to removing the arbitrary requirements to achieve certain levels of documentation for subjective and objective sections of the note, they also reworked and made more explicit some of the criterion tables for MDM.

I do inpatient and outpatient work. So I guess I need to read through that document to see if the new way to determine the level of MDM only applies to outpatient work, or if I still have to score problem points per the old tables in the hospital setting.
These changes are for outpatient only. inpatient coding is the same as it was last yr.

Reactions: 1 users
I mean I appreciate that you're thankful but you've been talking about this stuff on this forum for quite a while now and this is the first time you've seen this table? I literally googled "ama cpt office codes 2021 table" to find the table I have saved. I think there's a bit of learned helplessness going on here.
I rarely post here because of the rude comments. I had the chart I got from my biller. I had no reason to believe it was outdated. I'm not the only one who was confused. I think the personal attacks say a lot more about the people who post them than about me. I appreciate the list. As I posted I am in analysis 5x weekly. He gets paid to do it and does it well. No need for Your speculation

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I belong to several physician groups online. The consensus is avoid audits because they are horrible.

An audit requires work and scrutiny of your billing. It isn’t fun. That said, you can be audited randomly at any time for no reason. Your way of billing is providing a false sense of security.

Think of it like the IRS. If you deserve to take a deduction, you should take it. Your odds of getting an audit do go up with more deductions, but everyone is eligible for random audits. If they find you are slightly over-aggressive, you may have to pay back money that you wouldn’t have received anyway from undercoding/underdeducting. Most common triggers of audits are simple mistakes in basic areas, not high dollar deductions. A simple mistake on 1040 means the auditor has a guaranteed win and may as well see what else is there. It isn’t the m

For an audit to be a true problem, you would typically need to enter the fraud stage. Billing 99215/90833 for 10 min adhd visits is not a good look just like you shouldn’t list children you don’t have on your taxes.

Many of the wealthy people I know actively look for tax deductions in every area. They welcome audits to better understand the limits and where they can push further.

The more successful medical clinics do the same. You should know every possible add-on code, it’s reimbursement, when it’s possible, and how it increases revenue.

Reactions: 8 users
Yes..it’s still 99214…I strongly recommend you learn to bill properly, you just need 2 diagnoses and a medication prescription

Let's be real, CMS is never going to bother auditing someone just for underbilling 99214s unless they think something else that's sketchy is going on.

Reactions: 1 user
So, getting back to the question. How reasonable do you think a 70/30 split is? I just spoke to another outpatient psychiatry practice and they want a 75/25 split. The lowest I have heard is an 80/20 split?

My thoughts are that if they are bringing in the patients, it may be worth it especially since I don't have to start my own practice. What do you all think?

Devil is the details. 80/20; 75/25; 70/30; 60/40 etc mean nothing without all the rest of the details.

60/40 could be better than a 75/25 in theory.

Ford or Chevy or Dodge? Means nothing. Engine? Fuel economy? Towing? Payload capacity? Diesel? Gasoline? Bed size? Age of truck? Do you even want to drive a truck? etc

Reactions: 4 users