Expected Expenses during and after residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Siverhideo1985

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

Second year resident here trying to optimize my finances and pay off as much of that nasty debt.

Trying to decide how much of a "safety net" to keep in my savings account. For those recently graduated and a few years out, what were some of the expenses that were "predictable" and would you mind sharing them with me?

So far I have: Step 3 (yeah, I've been ignoring that one), Cost of Boards, Cost of relocation (I'm doing fellowship), Cost of board prep materials, Liscencing fees (which seem to be quite variable from state to state so I find them hard to predict...)

Thanks for any advice!