Expected Family Contribution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soswank

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to have not having the need to take out any student loans during undergrad. Now that I will be joining a dental school soon, I won't be working to pay for the tuition and will be taking out student loans to pay for the school. My question is this, on my FASFA my EFC (Expected Family Contribution) score is 31756, what does that mean?

Members don't see this ad.

soswank said:
I was fortunate enough to have not having the need to take out any student loans during undergrad. Now that I will be joining a dental school soon, I won't be working to pay for the tuition and will be taking out student loans to pay for the school. My question is this, on my FASFA my EFC (Expected Family Contribution) score is 31756, what does that mean?

Are you sure that number is right? What it means is that they expect that you can afford to pay $31,756 toward your tuition and expences. Talk to your schools finacial aid officer about Fin aid options.

Zerosixjt said:
Are you sure that number is right? What it means is that they expect that you can afford to pay $31,756 toward your tuition and expences. Talk to your schools finacial aid officer about Fin aid options.

If the OP is working right now, that's not unlikely. Mine was about 33K. Fortunately the financial aid officer at my school reduced it to about 6k since they care about my 'projected income'; the FAFSA assumes that current income will continue into school. It would be zero, but they count the summer before school, not just school.

Definitely talk this with over with the FAO at your school.