GradPlus with adverse credit? Has anyone done it? Fam Contribution?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Absentminded

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I'll get in with all of the other "I filed bankruptcy now what" threads I found while searching. I didn't see any of them have real resolution. Can you still get a GradPlus loan with a 2 year old bankruptcy and an endorser?

Secondly, I have decent income right now. I presume the FAFSA application will require a hefty amount of personal contribution, even though I will have zero income while attending med school. Is this even an issue?

I haven't filed bankruptcy yet, but I am afraid it may be required because I will be going from real money to nothing. I have a couple new cars etc to unload that I will probably be upside down in the way the economy is going. I guess I could wait until they are paid off, but my biological clock is ticking (as is my psychological one...I hate my job). I am thinking of unloading it all now, going back to driving a cheap car, and hoarding cash for a year or two before going.

Members don't see this ad.

OK, I'll get in with all of the other "I filed bankruptcy now what" threads I found while searching. I didn't see any of them have real resolution. Can you still get a GradPlus loan with a 2 year old bankruptcy and an endorser?

Secondly, I have decent income right now. I presume the FAFSA application will require a hefty amount of personal contribution, even though I will have zero income while attending med school. Is this even an issue?

I haven't filed bankruptcy yet, but I am afraid it may be required because I will be going from real money to nothing. I have a couple new cars etc to unload that I will probably be upside down in the way the economy is going. I guess I could wait until they are paid off, but my biological clock is ticking (as is my psychological one...I hate my job). I am thinking of unloading it all now, going back to driving a cheap car, and hoarding cash for a year or two before going.

Concerning Stafford / GradPLUS, I don't know of anybody who was unable to obtain the maximum amounts because of excessive income or excessive assets or both. FAFSA based loans for medical school do not assume any amount of personal contribution at all.

Thanks. I called the financial aid office at the local med school to find out what they knew about the adverse credit situation. They were pretty much clueless. I doubt they get many people as old as I am coming through.