Experience before Applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I've got a question...

I live in CA, i recently took and passed the PTCE and am now a CPhT. I've been applying to drugstores and some other places but haven't gotten a callback. I JUST found out that there is such a thing as getting your license from CA BOP lol. Is the reason I haven't been getting any offers/interviews possibly because I don't have the state BOP license?

(just realized how many acronyms I have in here... >.>)

I finished all of my pre-reqs for most schools. My GPA isn't spectacular, but I have tons of research under my belt (but not publications =[) I have some experience in teaching organic chemistry, but nothing in pharmacy. I feel like I can write a pretty good personal statement. I also have a very high prospective PCAT score lol (as in, i'm pretty confident I can do well).

I have been pushing my application for pharmacy school because I don't have any experience nor a strong LOR. Am I pretty SOL?

Members don't see this ad.

Also... just for giggles, can someone comment on my prospects of getting into a Pharmacy school?? =x GPA 3.2 ish, mathsci 3.1, didn't do well in the beginning but have a tremendous upward trend.

Experience always helps.

Should be fine for mid/lower schools, but difficult for top Cali schools since you guys don't require PCAT. Out of state, if your confident in your PCAT abilities, should be fine if you do well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. You can't be a Pharm tech in CA without having a license from the BOP

As someone that's applying for Fall 2015 and has worked as a pharmacy technician for 2.5 years, please work in a pharmacy prior to applying to pharmacy school so you can be sure that it's what you actually want to do. I have worked with so many new grads that regret going through pharmacy school because they didn't know what they were getting themselves into. It's not a bad job, but you definitely have to have a certain personality to handle it adequately. Yes, you most likely need a license from the CA BOP to be a practicing pharmacy technician. I live in Florida and I need a license from the BOP to work as one - there's a difference between being a certified pharmacy technician and being a certified REGISTERED pharmacy technician. The registration is super easy, it just costs about 100 dollars I believe. Look online to see what CA's requirements are for it. I don't know how the PhT job market is in CA, but in my location they are always looking for one. Good luck to you!

Thank you all so much! I appreciate the feedback.

I think that one of the most important things that they look it is experience because it shows them how much you know about the profession in terms of what pharmacists do.

Also... just for giggles, can someone comment on my prospects of getting into a Pharmacy school?? =x GPA 3.2 ish, mathsci 3.1, didn't do well in the beginning but have a tremendous upward trend.
I think that you have a decent chance of getting into Pharmacy school. I personally know someone who got a below 50 on the PCAT and had a GPA of less than a 3 that got accepted into a pharmacy school, but this person had much experience by working in a pharmacy, shadowing, volunteering, and being president of the pharmacy club. It all just depends on the individual person. It is important that you not only keep up your grades, but you also become more than a walking GPA by filling your application with experiences to talk about relating to pharmacy.