experience before grad school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suzie0blue

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have about a year before I hope to actually get into a graduate public health program (epi). I would like to get some experience that would be relevant to my grad studies and was wondering what the best way to do that would be with just a bachelor's degree? Anyone know of any internship programs or temp research positions for someone with a BA in the public health arena in Massachusetts? Any help or tips would be appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I can't give you any specific Massachusetts internship leads but maybe you can also look into fields that are related to public health, such as human rights? I know that Massachusetts has quite a few non-profit human rights organizations' headquarters. I know it's not exactly public health but you're exposed to a lot of issues that occur in struggling nations because of the lack of healthcare (and structured education)

That's just a backup in case you can't find anything that's directly related!

Maybe Clinical Research (research assistant), especially Epidemiology studies. If you are interested in global health, perhaps an internship with a firm. Or a Health policy firm. I actually don't live in Mass. but thought I would throw that out there. I imagine the same opportunities exsist up there.

Maybe Clinical Research (research assistant), especially Epidemiology studies. If you are interested in global health, perhaps an internship with a firm. Or a Health policy firm. I actually don't live in Mass. but thought I would throw that out there. I imagine the same opportunities exsist up there.

Good point! I completely forgot - I actually volunteer at a local law firm. It's a state law firm with a branch in my town and I help the one guy who works on healthcare issues (he's the only lawyer dealing with it, so he needs all the help he can get!). Especially with this economy, you'll be able to find people who want your free work at the local law firms, which have had to downsize incredibly. They might not call it an internship, but there's no reason why you can't make it one! Just ask.

I really enjoy the work there because I was able to see how watered down the knowledge about healthcare becomes when it's being turned into soundbites for the public. I also see what clients, legal and non-legal, struggle with and the solutions that are offered.