Experience for veterinary school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
So I recently decided to switch majors and pursue a veterinary career. I've been looking through all of these threads and I'm REALLY overwhelmed with all the information when it comes to animal/vet experience for veterinary school... I see on this website that people have like 3000+ (more on the plus side) hours of experience total and that's really freaking me out. I really want to become a veterinarian and will do anything, but how does one manage to get that many hours and balance extracurricular and school work?

I have a few questions about the animal/veterinary experience.. If you guys don't mind clarifying for me:
  • I know you have to have a variety of animal and veterinary experience, like have equine, barn, small animal, exotic, etc... How many hours on average do you think is good to have in each, for a lack of a better word, category?
  • What exactly is research experience that I see a lot of on this website?
  • How do you gain veterinary experience? Do you have to work for them or does volunteering/helping them out/shadowing suffice?
  • This is probably self-explanatory, but what's considered animal experience and what is considered veterinary experience?
I have more on the tip of my tongue, but I can't seem to think of them as I am slowly being engulfed by all the vet-school information that I've found...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys!
So I recently decided to switch majors and pursue a veterinary career. I've been looking through all of these threads and I'm REALLY overwhelmed with all the information when it comes to animal/vet experience for veterinary school... I see on this website that people have like 3000+ (more on the plus side) hours of experience total and that's really freaking me out. I really want to become a veterinarian and will do anything, but how does one manage to get that many hours and balance extracurricular and school work?

I have a few questions about the animal/veterinary experience.. If you guys don't mind clarifying for me:
  • I know you have to have a variety of animal and veterinary experience, like have equine, barn, small animal, exotic, etc... How many hours on average do you think is good to have in each, for a lack of a better word, category?
  • How do you gain veterinary experience? Do you have to work for them or does volunteering/helping them out/shadowing suffice?
  • This is probably self-explanatory, but what's considered animal experience and what is considered veterinary experience?
I have more on the tip of my tongue, but I can't seem to think of them as I am slowly being engulfed by all the vet-school information that I've found...

So, I'll try to answer this as best I can.

1) You want as much QUALITY experience as you can possibly obtain. This means good experiences where you aren't just sitting on the sidelines; you want to learn a lot, ask questions and where possible, get actively involved. Obviously there are limits to what you can do, but sometimes it's as simple as helping restrain a calf while the vet works on them or holding the puppy while it gets its shots. Getting lots of hours is important, but if you can't describe what you've experienced, it's not as valuable. Variety is important, too. I was always taught that vet schools want to see you've experienced more of the profession than small animal private practice. There are huge differences between small animal and food animal, for example, in terms of how you approach so much (food animal tends to be about herd health vs. an individual, etc). Exotic medicine is different because exotic animals themselves are super different. If you have a specific area of interest, get lots of experience there. An interviewer may ask you about that area if you mention it :) For example, my interviewers heard I like avian medicine, so they asked how certain procedures happen in birds.

You want enough number-wise to be competitive, BUT, you also want the experience to be good experience. Quality is super important, so it's a balancing act.

2) Research experience generally refers to getting involved with research projects. Some do this by working with faculty at an undergraduate level, others pursue it at a graduate level. Inquire with your school's biology professors about opportunities :) It can take up a fair amount of your spare time, but the faculty always seem to appreciate the help, and it gets you that experience. Some veterinarians also do research!

3) Shadowing will be fine. It does not have to be a paid position.

4) Animal experience: anything you'd done with animals, including having pets, horseback riding, working at an animal shelter, etc.

Vet experience: things you've done\seen under the supervision of a veterinarian. A vet must be present for it to count for this category.

When VMCAS opens, they clarify it a bit more on their site, but that's the gist of it.

I think BirdsInMyHouse pretty much covered everything really well so I'm just going to give some examples of how to gain vet experience.

I started with the vets I used for my animals and asked them if I could shadow them. So if you have pets you can start with your personal veterinarian. I've always wanted to do equine so I tried to make that the majority of my hours, followed by small animal since that's my second favorite specialty. The others I didn't get a lot of hours from and that's ok. What I recommend is start off by asking to shadow for a week, doing quite a few hours each day. At the end of the week, if it's a clinic or specialty you like, then discuss adding on more shadowing hours and go from there. What I'm not saying is clinic hop everywhere- you won't build good relationships with the vets or techs and other staff, and it'll be harder to find someone to write you a good rec letter. But, if you build relationships with the hospitals you're shadowing at, they could offer you jobs or set you up with other clinics that you may like to shadow at. For example, I have a great relationship with the vets at the small animal clinic I shadowed at, so they eventually offered me a job and when I needed exotic experience they sent me to a clinic for that experience.

If your school has a Prevet society, then they should have a list or database of clinics that you can shadow at so be sure to talk to them. In addition your animal science or nutrition professors will generally have opportunities outside of class to get animal hours and they probably know DVMs in the area so they could set you up with them too, provided you have a good relationship with that professor.

Also don't feel like you have to shadow during the school year. A lot of people do shadow during then and that's fine, but what I did was while at school I took advantage of opportunities I wouldn't have during breaks and then I shadowed during the breaks. Granted I shadowed longer days to get those hours during breaks, but I felt like I enjoyed it more because I wasn't having to worry about school at the same time and if something cool came in late in the day, I could stay to see it and not have to think twice about it. Obviously you can do it either way, this was just the way that I found worked for me. If you want to apply ASAP and you're crunched for time to get hours then you'll probably have to shadow during the year (like I said that's totally fine, I just had so much else going on during the semester that it would have been hard to add on for me personally).

Lastly, no matter where you shadow keep some kind of record of what you saw each day. This becomes especially helpful when writing your personal statement and trying to draw on experiences during interviews. Things can start to run together after a while, but if you keep a record of what you saw, you have fewer chances of forgetting cool or interesting cases.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I bought the book written by the former admissions director of Cornell and I think the guidelines he sets are pretty good. You want to demonstrate breadth and depth, and I think three experiences is a good number for types of vet experience. I'd say that two of them should be 200-300 hours and the other in your main area of interest should be a bit more. Keep in mind, there is no set formula and strengths in different areas can make up for weaknesses in experience. This is what I personally went for though. (I included research as a category as, at the time, it was not separate on VMCAS and counted as vet experience). You may be able to find the average number of hours for your schools of interests and work from there (I found cornells averages and worked off that).

If you check your school's website, you should be able to find listings of faculty in different departments and what they do in their respective labs. Sometimes you can do research for credit, I did it for a minor, but if you see a lab doing work that interests you, you can probably just shoot the professor an email and see if he/she could use any help in the lab. It doesn't have to be super formal (research is such an intimidating word but it might be the easiest experience to get since often its offered by your college campus).

All my vet experiences were shadowing/volunteering. As long as its not just cleaning cages, even just observing a vet at work counts as experience.
I think in general vet experience is just experience under the supervision of a veterinarian. Working in any clinic helping techs or observing the vet would be vet experience, and working in a stable/kennel/dog walking/etc. would be animal experience.

Depending on how much time you have before you apply, you might take different strategies. I would shoot for vet experience before animal experience. Small animal clinics in your area are generally the easiest place to start since more specialized things are tougher to come by.

Hope that helped somewhat. Keep in mind, this is just how I tackled it/would advise going about getting experience. Its not the only or necessarily best way. Good luck and have fun!!!!!! Exploring the opportunities in vet med as a prevet is a rewarding, eye opening experience.

Reactions: 1 user
The hours add up faster than you think. Shadowing or working full-time for a month already gets you ~200 hours. If you're worried about balancing work and school, try to make the most of your summers with full-time positions.

Hi guys!

Some people do have thousands of hours of experience - people who have been around vets since they were kids, or who have been working in the field for years. But that many hours isn't required, and plenty of people get in with less. I would guess that many of the people with those numbers did not get the majority of them while in school. Personally I aimed to hit 1000 hours, which isn't difficult if you do something every week, and then dedicate more of your time to getting experience during the summer and possibly other breaks. The hours will add up more quickly than you think.
- The number of hours you're going to want per category is going to vary widely, and every experience is valid, even if it is only one day of shadowing. Each school tends to look at things differently though. But I think in general if you can get a couple hundred hours in at least 3 different categories, and perhaps more in something that you are really interested in (or merely in the one that you are able to dedicate more time to), you'll be set. Personally I had about 200 in shelter, 250 in zoo/avian, and over 500 in small animal/exotics private practice. If I could do it over, I would definitely get some large animal or equine experience.
- I think your question about research has been answered pretty well in other posts. Most universities have some way for students to get involved in research. Talk to your professors. There are also summer research opportunities that you could get involved in.
- Shadowing is fine, volunteering is fine, working is fine too. I'm not sure that anything is weighed more heavily than the others - you would have to ask adcoms about that. But most people start out shadowing and build up from there. You can also look for summer internships and things like that.
- This has also been covered, but if you are being supervised by a vet, it is vet experience. Anything involving animals without a vet is animal experience. Unless it is research, in which case...research experience.​

Getting lots of hours is important, but if you can't describe what you've experienced, it's not as valuable.

Meh. I know what you're saying, and I don't really disagree, but ... I think putting it that way can kinda scare some pre-vets who don't have a lot of context for interpreting what you're saying. It's not like VMCAS gives you paragraphs to write about your experiences, so you really don't have to say a lot about what you've experienced. Maybe it comes up in the interview, but more likely than not at most schools doing behavioral interviews it doesn't. At least, not in a grilling "describe what you saw or else!" kinda way. Nobody expects you to be able to give a step-by-step of a spay surgery just because you observed it as a pre-vet. I mean, I had a few years volunteering in canine rehab - I wrote two sentences in VMCAS about it. I had a couple hundred hours of shadowing - pretty much just said "Yo, shadowed here, watched a GP vet do GP vet things." (Ok, sure, I was more formal about describing it, but.... it's not like it was all technical or in-depth.)

I know the standard SDN line for pre-vets is "quality trumps quantity" but honestly, I'm not sure that's really true. I think it's just something we say because we've talked ourselves into believing it without any real evidence that it's true. I think either one can be just fine - depending on how well your experiences support your personal statement which is supported by your eLORs, etc. I think the successful applicants are the ones where the whole application - experiences, personal statements, eLORs, academic background - all tie together to support each other. The unsuccessful applicants (other than the ones with obvious and irreconcilable deficiencies, like a 2.6 GPA or missing pre-reqs or ....) are the ones where the pieces of the puzzle don't fit together to give one big unified picture that says 'amazing vet student'. It's the ones that have 1000 hours of SA shadowing but say they want to be a zoo vet, and their vet eLOR is from an equine vet they shadowed for 25 hours.....

I liked what @WildZoo said:

I'm not sure that anything is weighed more heavily than the others - you would have to ask adcoms about that. But most people start out shadowing and build up from there. You can also look for summer internships and things like that.

It's true, to really know you'd have to talk to the people who do the evaluation. We do a lot of talking out our rear ends here on SDN about what makes a good applicant. But I suspect what you'll find is that even within a single school there is variation depending on which people look at your application and score it.

But it's not even necessary to 'build up' from shadowing. I certainly didn't. (Although I did have a couple years of volunteering at our teaching hospital in canine rehab.) But I didn't have a single 'paid' hour of experience on my application. I had never poked anything with a needle. I don't think I had ever listened to anything with a stethoscope. So don't get discouraged when you hear people talking about all these gee-whiz cool experiences they have as pre-vets: it's cool and neat and can be super useful for motivation, learning, and fun, but almost none of it is necessary to get into vet school.

So @301589 ,just go get as much experience as you can. 30-40 hours or so in a few areas that you don't think you have much interest in (like dairy medicine and equine med if you plan to be a SA vet, for example) and then get as many (300+ or so on the low end, 500+ is better) as you can in the area you are interested in. Don't worry too much about whether it's "hands on" or just "watching" - that's not an important deal. Build connections so that you have a few vets who can write you really strong eLORs saying "this person is a no-brainer to get into vet school." And if you are going back to school for pre-reqs - get all A's. Don't screw around with "Oh, a B is ok in this class because I don't want to work harder and this class is tough and I don't like the teacher anyway." Push yourself for A's. Just do it.

And then don't quit building experience when you submit your application. That way, if you don't get accepted, you haven't wasted time that could have been used for building more hours.

Reactions: 1 users
Meh. I know what you're saying, and I don't really disagree, but ... I think putting it that way can kinda scare some pre-vets who don't have a lot of context for interpreting what you're saying. It's not like VMCAS gives you paragraphs to write about your experiences, so you really don't have to say a lot about what you've experienced. Maybe it comes up in the interview, but more likely than not at most schools doing behavioral interviews it doesn't. At least, not in a grilling "describe what you saw or else!" kinda way. Nobody expects you to be able to give a step-by-step of a spay surgery just because you observed it as a pre-vet. I mean, I had a few years volunteering in canine rehab - I wrote two sentences in VMCAS about it. I had a couple hundred hours of shadowing - pretty much just said "Yo, shadowed here, watched a GP vet do GP vet things." (Ok, sure, I was more formal about describing it, but.... it's not like it was all technical or in-depth.)
Your experiences might come up a couple times if you mention something specific in your PS, but I agree that exactly what you were doing doesn't seem to mean much - it often seems to be more about what you saw than what you actually did yourself, because of course the things you'll be learning to do as a vet will be the things you saw other vets doing. I was asked about my avian zoo experience in one of my interviews, because in my PS I had stated it was one of the most influential experiences I had. But it's not like I actually did any hands-on vet work there, the work I did was all husbandry. It was the work I saw the vets doing and the procedures I observed that really left an impression on me. So you should definitely have some thoughts about your experiences, as it will likely help with PS writing and interviews, but they're not expecting you to be an expert. They just want to know you've gotten an idea of what various aspects of vet med are like.

But it's not even necessary to 'build up' from shadowing. I certainly didn't. (Although I did have a couple years of volunteering at our teaching hospital in canine rehab.) But I didn't have a single 'paid' hour of experience on my application. I had never poked anything with a needle. I don't think I had ever listened to anything with a stethoscope. So don't get discouraged when you hear people talking about all these gee-whiz cool experiences they have as pre-vets: it's cool and neat and can be super useful for motivation, learning, and fun, but almost none of it is necessary to get into vet school.
I suppose what I meant was that if you wanted to eventually find yourself in a tech position or something like that, shadowing will get your foot in the door better than trying to get a job, or even asking to volunteer, from the start. But I could have phrased that better. The bulk of my experience came from a tech job that I somehow got without prior tech experience, but I'm pretty sure that I would have done just fine if I had gotten those same number of hours shadowing...especially if I had been able to diversify them a bit more. Getting paid was a bonus for me personally, but probably didn't matter for my application :D

And +1 to everything else LIS said. Get your hours, but don't overextend yourself and tank your grades.

I suppose what I meant was that if you wanted to eventually find yourself in a tech position or something like that, shadowing will get your foot in the door better than trying to get a job, or even asking to volunteer, from the start. But I could have phrased that better. The bulk of my experience came from a tech job that I somehow got without prior tech experience, but I'm pretty sure that I would have done just fine if I had gotten those same number of hours shadowing...especially if I had been able to diversify them a bit more. Getting paid was a bonus for me personally, but probably didn't matter for my application :D

No doubt getting paid is better - but not because it helps your application, just because hey, if you're going to spend time there you might as well make some money while you're doing it. The only real downside is that you're actually committed to certain working hours, so you lose some flexibility. But money is good.

I just get a little grumpy when certain people on SDN try to tell pre-vets that they have to take a job as a vet assistant or tech or whatever in order for the experience to really count on the application or be 'meaningful'. That's absolutely not true. But I know that wasn't what you were saying.

Reactions: 3 users
The only real downside is that you're actually committed to certain working hours, so you lose some flexibility.
This exactly. I didn't have as much time to continue getting experience in other areas because I was working full time. And to be honest I didn't feel like doing much other than sleeping on my days off. Definitely something to think about when you're balancing your experiences and trying to get some diversity in there while also getting the hours you need.

I just get a little grumpy when certain people on SDN try to tell pre-vets that they have to take a job as a vet assistant or tech or whatever in order for the experience to really count on the application or be 'meaningful'. That's absolutely not true. But I know that wasn't what you were saying.

Nope. I would actually argue that shadowing might be better. You are then able to see what the vet actually does and learn from them instead of being tied into doing your work as a vet tech or whatever. Yes, it is cool that you get to be hands on and learn a bunch of technical skills, but to actually be able to follow the vets 100% of the time and see what all they are doing that is going to be meaningful.

I do disagree that it is about quantity over quality (it is more like the 2 mixed together in an awkward, random, I lost my train of thought here). Obviously I don't think you should get 20 hours of experience and be all "I am good!" However, I do think that you need to be able to adequately understand what being a vet is like. That is where quality comes in. If you spend 1,000 hours with a vet that doesn't really discuss much with you or where you only stand and watch surgeries (say a low cost spay/neuter clinic), you aren't going to have a great idea of the full aspect of what vet med is like. You need to be able to express why your experience is important and how it has impacted you and your decision to do vet med and I don't really think you need 2,000 hours for this... a few hundred will do fine. But it is up to you to be sure you get some quality experience from it. It is up to you to be sure that you are learning.

It is also up to you to incorporate your understanding (which should come from your experiences) of veterinary medicine into your personal statement. The adcoms need to see in that statement that you have a somewhat realistic viewpoint on what being a vet is like and how you will make a super special awesome amazing extraordinary vet so they should pick you over all the other snowflakes.

Reactions: 2 users

I know the standard SDN line for pre-vets is "quality trumps quantity" but honestly, I'm not sure that's really true. I think it's just something we say because we've talked ourselves into believing it without any real evidence that it's true. I think either one can be just fine - depending on how well your experiences support your personal statement which is supported by your eLORs, etc. I think the successful applicants are the ones where the whole application - experiences, personal statements, eLORs, academic background - all tie together to support each other. The unsuccessful applicants (other than the ones with obvious and irreconcilable deficiencies, like a 2.6 GPA or missing pre-reqs or ....) are the ones where the pieces of the puzzle don't fit together to give one big unified picture that says 'amazing vet student'. It's the ones that have 1000 hours of SA shadowing but say they want to be a zoo vet, and their vet eLOR is from an equine vet they shadowed for 25 hours.....

I liked what @WildZoo said:

It's true, to really know you'd have to talk to the people who do the evaluation. We do a lot of talking out our rear ends here on SDN about what makes a good applicant. But I suspect what you'll find is that even within a single school there is variation depending on which people look at your application and score it.

So @301589 ,just go get as much experience as you can. 30-40 hours or so in a few areas that you don't think you have much interest in (like dairy medicine and equine med if you plan to be a SA vet, for example) and then get as many (300+ or so on the low end, 500+ is better) as you can in the area you are interested in. Don't worry too much about whether it's "hands on" or just "watching" - that's not an important deal. Build connections so that you have a few vets who can write you really strong eLORs saying "this person is a no-brainer to get into vet school." And if you are going back to school for pre-reqs - get all A's. Don't screw around with "Oh, a B is ok in this class because I don't want to work harder and this class is tough and I don't like the teacher anyway." Push yourself for A's. Just do it.

And then don't quit building experience when you submit your application. That way, if you don't get accepted, you haven't wasted time that could have been used for building more hours.

My intention wasn't to scare anyone, and I never really meant they'd need to write paragraphs about it on VMCAS. I wrote that pretty early this morning, so that could've made a difference :p But you are correct in that quantity does matter. Nobody's gonna get in with 10 hours experience, period... you have to be competitive.

I never had paid experience, either :)

Again, my intention wasn't to scare anyone, and I agree with a lot of what you're saying.

My intention wasn't to scare anyone, and I never really meant they'd need to write paragraphs about it on VMCAS. I wrote that pretty early this morning, so that could've made a difference :p But you are correct in that quantity does matter. Nobody's gonna get in with 10 hours experience, period... you have to be competitive.

I never had paid experience, either :)

Again, my intention wasn't to scare anyone, and I agree with a lot of what you're saying.

I know you didn't. And your advice was overall pretty solid. And I was responding pretty generally. I think some times we (definitely me, anyway) lose perspective of what it's like to be at the very beginning of the process ... and then someone comes on SDN and people blast them with "you need this! you need that! it has to be QUALITY! it has to be paid!" .... it probably can feel overwhelming. In the end, it's a lot less intense than it sometimes sounds: get good grades, build relationships with eLOR writers, slowly build up experience. It doesn't have to be complicated.

I know you didn't. And your advice was overall pretty solid. And I was responding pretty generally. I think some times we (definitely me, anyway) lose perspective of what it's like to be at the very beginning of the process ... and then someone comes on SDN and people blast them with "you need this! you need that! it has to be QUALITY! it has to be paid!" .... it probably can feel overwhelming. In the end, it's a lot less intense than it sometimes sounds: get good grades, build relationships with eLOR writers, slowly build up experience. It doesn't have to be complicated.

It's cool, and you're totally right :)

Hi guys!

I feel like my research experience really helped my application. I worked on a molecular parasitology project for two years, and did my own grant-funded independent research project my senior year. You can go to your college's faculty page and see what kind of research is being done, then go talk to the people who are doing projects you're interested in and see if they're willing to take on an undergrad assistant. A lot of schools also have an undergraduate research coordinator, or a program specifically for undergraduate research. There are usually symposiums every year, and some honors colleges will have money available to fund undergraduate research projects.

Meh. I know what you're saying, and I don't really disagree, but ... I think putting it that way can kinda scare some pre-vets who don't have a lot of context for interpreting what you're saying. It's not like VMCAS gives you paragraphs to write about your experiences, so you really don't have to say a lot about what you've experienced. Maybe it comes up in the interview, but more likely than not at most schools doing behavioral interviews it doesn't. At least, not in a grilling "describe what you saw or else!" kinda way.
Just throwing this out there that there are some schools that are like this. Mizzou's interview felt like rapid fire tell me about every experience you've had and why it is a valuable experience sort of thing (but then again, Mizzou explains prior that the interview's purpose is to clarify your experiences to assess the quality of them). At Kansas, I also feel like that they asked questions about everyone of my experiences as well (in a much more laid back way then Mizzou). I agree 100% that it probably won't come up in behavioral interviews or MMI, but it's also good to have some solid experiences that you can pull from for the different scenarios/questions.

Otherwise I agree that you definitely don't have to have a paid position. However, I have found that at least in the two states I have lived in throughout my life, it is difficult to get the hours you would like to from shadowing without finding the perfect people to shadow in the area. But then again it can be very difficult to get that first VA job depending on where you live. It just becomes a matter of how one can best obtain the experience in their given area.

Hi guys!

I see a bunch of people have replied to this already and I apologize if I reiterate items that have already been addressed with similar responses, but here's my 2 cents worth -

My first question to you is, what year are you? This is a major determining factor for how much time you have to complete pre-requisites before application. Depending on how long you have, you may or may not want/need to take a year off to bulk yourself up on some items. Not knowing this info, I'm unsure of how exactly to respond to your specific situation.

-Yes, you have to have veterinary/animal experience. Go to the websites of each of the schools that you're interested in and see what the individual requirements are. Some have a few hundred, some have more, some don't list a requirement. General consensus is 500+ veterinary, but you cannot base that as your end-all be-all number. Same goes with animal experience. Also, veterinary experience - experience gained while under the direct supervision of a DVM. Animal experience - experience gained while working with animals - such as a stable hand, caring for research animals (but not doing research), working with a farrier, work with an animal shelter, etc. - any work done with animals but NOT under the supervision of a DVM. Make sense? Also think of hours in totality, not in a categorical sense.
-Research experience is ANY research experience you have completed. For an obvious example, scientific research with a professor or under supervision during your undergrad time or during your summers, paid/unpaid whatever. A less obvious example, working in a managerial position for your job, you're required to collect data on customer values and spending habits, then compile it into a database for evaluation and presentation so that company purchasing may be adjusted to meet customer demands - that's also considered research experience due to the skills involved/utilized. You just have to describe the KIND of research you conducted, meaning database, information mining, scientific; just be very specific - there's plenty of space to explain yourself.
-Shadowing with a DVM is the #1 start point in my opinion, others may have different view. Shadowing does suffice for application to schools. You do not have to have this massive array of every single animal out there. Quality over quantity. If you can obtain hours with different types of animals, such as small animal (cats/dogs), aquatic, wildlife, large animal (horses, cows, etc.), that's great; but if the experiences aren't quality then it's not worth your time. Don't stretch yourself thin just to add diversity in this specific instance.

There's a ton of information and I'm sure the deluge is just washing over you right now. Don't panic or freak out if you realize that you have to wait a year longer than expected in order to apply. You're not 100 years old yet. There's plenty of time to get everything right and lined up properly. If you haven't found this yet, here's the VMCAS website http://www.aavmc.org/Students-Appli...nary-Medical-College-Application-Service.aspx , it has literally everything you need! Just don't forget to keep referring to the separate schools' websites for the absolute most updated information.

N

Me too.

Team Grumples.

:annoyed:

Hi guys!

At UC Davis we only require 180 hours of documented experience (defined as experience where you directly work with a vet) as we believe that requiring many hours of (often) unpaid experience penalizes those students that have to work to support themselves during their education. We believe that 180 hours is sufficient to determine if this is a career that you want to pursue. Law schools, med schools, etc do not require an onerous number of pro bono hours as part of the application process and we concur with their approach. We also do not compare experience from one candidate to another - experience is experience be it research, small animal, large animal, etc. I hope that this helps and try not to freak out - I had about 200 hours of experience when I applied to vet school many years ago and now I am a vet, a faculty member and an associate dean - I have faith that you too can succeed if this is your dream. All the best

Reactions: 3 users