missa

10+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
Austin
Status
brandon1791 said:
Do pharmacy schools require a certain number of hours shadowing a pharmacist?
Yes, some do require that you write an essay on your experience at a pharmacy. I know Texas Tech for sure requires that. But you can shadow a pharmacist or simply just interview them. I worked at a pharmacy for about a year. I know UT does not require that or Loma Linda or Texas A and M. It seems most schools do not require this specific experience.

Bob_Barker27

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2004
Status
brandon1791 said:
Do pharmacy schools require a certain number of hours shadowing a pharmacist?

If I were you, I would get a job in a retail pharmacy or volunteer in a hospital pharmacy. You should probably work in a pharmacy for at least 3 months. I believe some schools put more weight on pharmacy work experience than GPA and/or PCAT. Good luck.

About the Ads

DownonthePharm

Chillin' n Fillin'
10+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2004
Oklahoma
Status
  1. Pharmacist
Most schools dont have a set number, but I would shoot around 100 hours if you can. It shows that you are interested in it for more than just a recommendation letter and have seen enough of the goings on to know what the Pharmacist handles on a day to day basis.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads