Experience Hours??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

brandon1791 said:
Do pharmacy schools require a certain number of hours shadowing a pharmacist?
Yes, some do require that you write an essay on your experience at a pharmacy. I know Texas Tech for sure requires that. But you can shadow a pharmacist or simply just interview them. I worked at a pharmacy for about a year. I know UT does not require that or Loma Linda or Texas A and M. It seems most schools do not require this specific experience.
 
brandon1791 said:
Do pharmacy schools require a certain number of hours shadowing a pharmacist?

If I were you, I would get a job in a retail pharmacy or volunteer in a hospital pharmacy. You should probably work in a pharmacy for at least 3 months. I believe some schools put more weight on pharmacy work experience than GPA and/or PCAT. Good luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Most schools dont have a set number, but I would shoot around 100 hours if you can. It shows that you are interested in it for more than just a recommendation letter and have seen enough of the goings on to know what the Pharmacist handles on a day to day basis.