Staff member
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2005
Canton GA
www.stevenlobel.com
  1. Attending Physician
b/l L2-4 facet joints

Axial pain is predominant but some upper buttock and thigh pain, thought it was worth a try

Didn't want to neglect inferior endplate of L1

She doesn't want meds. Thanks
Tough case with a no win situation. I think you did it perfectly.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

dipriMAN

2+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2017
If they were to extend that fusion- it would be 3 additional vertebral levels fused. If successful, she maybe would have 1-2 good years before adjacent level degeneration kicks and this will be a miserable back once again.
Several surgeons in my area do L2-S1 fusion and lami for many patients they see ….. “there’s severe canal stenosis at L4-5, but then there’s a protrusion and mild stenosis up at L2-3 and 3-4, might as well fuse those”.

bedrock

15+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2005
  1. Attending Physician
Due to reimbursement issues I now do most cases in outside ASC, make very little on the pro fee side. Make more per hour doing bread and butter.
How low is the reimbursement? Is it clinic low? or just lower than doing ESI/MBB?

I'm interested in helping patients with whatever is appropriate, however if it doesn't reimburse me appropriately I don't plan to offer it myself.

I may refer out some of these patients in the future to a HOPD based physician who does them, though I'm curious just how low is the ASC pro fee?

Do the RVUs make sense for an HOPD employed physician?

Last edited:

RoloTomassi

10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2010
How low is the reimbursement? Is it clinic low? or just lower than doing ESI/MBB?

I'm interested in helping patients with whatever is appropriate, however if it doesn't reimburse me appropriately I don't plan to offer it myself.

I may refer out some of these patients in the future to a HOPD based physician who does them, though I'm curious just how low is the ASC pro fee?

Do the RVUs make sense for an HOPD employed physician?
Medicare, pro fee closer to E&M, ASC fee is profitable if efficient, HOPD is nice margin. Commercial is all over the place, can be a loss, can be bank. For Medicare, I do them when I would otherwise be in bed so it's not nothing, and it's a fun procedure.

ziggyziggy

10+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2011
  1. Attending Physician
Did my first case today.

It reminds me of when I did my first nucleoplasty. I was so excited. What a great name - was it Dekompressor?

I'm much less enthusiastic this time, however.

Did this case today. Severe axial LBP. Failed RFA. Failed TFESI and ILESI. Stenosis severe but not as bad on axials. If Intracept not an option, and fails SCS, you wouldn't even consider fusion extension? Anecdotal but I'll let you know how she does 2 weeks after L1/2/3 BVNA

updates?

clubdeac

10+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2007
  1. Attending Physician
Now at the end of every MRI report that has modic changes our radiologists make special note of the changes and state they could be amenable to Intracept. They also add their scheduling number to get the patient in for an urgent consult

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

Agast

10+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2009
the river lethe
  1. Attending Physician
Now at the end of every MRI report that has modic changes our radiologists make special note of the changes and state they could be amenable to Intracept. They also add their scheduling number to get the patient in for an urgent consult
Man, talk about a solution looking for a problem to fix

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 21, 1998
Over the rainbow
  1. Attending Physician

We're seeing epidemic levels of Modic-related back pain.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.