Experience with NCSU Non-Res -> Res Tuition Change Process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J-wAlt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody/anybody!

First time poster here, trying to narrow down my list of schools to apply for and wanted to see if anyone has experience with changing residency for tuition purposes at NC and could tell me what the process was like? I've read over their page, and saw that one of the qualifications was that you have to prove you're not just residing there for school and prove you're going to be there a while after; which I entirely get, but don't know how you would prove/ how they would determine? I know I can probably get clarification by contacting the school directly, but was hoping some lovely person out there might be willing to lend a hand. Thanks for any info!

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty sure they lay it out to you with specific steps - but you have to do things like register your car here, change your license over, file taxes, and vote. Basically, everything a resident would do. Also, it's important that you do these things BEFORE the start of the school year, except file taxes. I think they said the nonresident > resident transfer process happens to 94%-98% of the class each year.

Hey everybody/anybody!

First time poster here, trying to narrow down my list of schools to apply for and wanted to see if anyone has experience with changing residency for tuition purposes at NC and could tell me what the process was like? I've read over their page, and saw that one of the qualifications was that you have to prove you're not just residing there for school and prove you're going to be there a while after; which I entirely get, but don't know how you would prove/ how they would determine? I know I can probably get clarification by contacting the school directly, but was hoping some lovely person out there might be willing to lend a hand. Thanks for any info!

Reposted from the NCSU acceptance thread...

As for the OOS to IS residency transition- it's very smooth, provided you complete the tasks outlined for you by Student Legal Services. NCSU has a lawyer on retainer to assist with student legal concerns (everything from residency designation to parking tickets). As an OOS student, you will receive an email from this individual (Pamela Gearce) mid-summer, should you accept NCSU's offer. Pam will outline exactly what you need to do (and the time frame), for you to secure IS residency. Don't underestimate the importance of time frame. I relocated multiple times prior to attending vet school, so the residency game was not new for me. Here is what you need to know (in a nutshell):

-Arrive in NC the summer prior to your first semester. Register your vehicle, register to vote, and get an NC driver's license- asap, as in, as soon as you get here. You want to maximize the time your name is on these documents, associated with the state. NC is a little weird in that you need to transfer vehicle title to NC prior to obtaining your NC registration. This is the first state I've lived in where this is the case.

-DO NOT permit your parents to claim you as dependents on their tax return (it's too late for this year, so that would be for 2017 submissions). If you're claimed as a dependent, your chances of securing IS residency are shot. You need to file your own tax returns- both state (NC, and wherever your'e moving from) and federal.

-Secure a place to live, and get your name on the lease asap. I actually locked my apartment in April of my acceptance year, and began paying on the place in June. The longer you can demonstrate physical ties to the state, the better your chances.

-Document your official involvement in organizations and activities related to NC. Member of a religious organization in the state? Get your membership documented in a letter from the institution's admin folks. Volunteer for a NC organization? Document it.

-I do not personally recommend looking for a PT job until the end of your first semester, but folks often do so earlier than my recommendation. Making money in the state will only add credibility to your tax status. I began working for NCSU the summer of my first year, so did have some financial claim to the state when I submitted my residency application.

The residency application will be due the late summer/early fall following your first year (just prior to the beginning of second year). I had no problem obtaining residency- my application slid right on through, and I received my decision within two days of submission. Follow the instructions you're given, and don't test the system. You should have no issues. Pam Gearce is there to help you should you have questions or concerns. She'll even review your application for you before you submit, so long as you provide her with sufficient time to review prior to the deadline.

Also...

Most people I've talked to have been successful on their first attempt- PROVIDED INSTRUCTIONS WERE FOLLOWED TO THE LETTER. The school lays this process out for you. Truly, admin couldn't be more transparent about the process. If you are naive and uninitiated to federal and state tax laws, this is the part of the IS residency application (along with vehicle registration, driver's license, etc.) that will sink your application. DO NOT allow your parents to claim you as a dependent. I repeat- DO NOT permit your parents to claim you as a dependent on their federal and state tax returns. This will invalidate your claim to IS status. If your parents claim you, you're not getting IS residency- end of story. Other rules you need to abide by: You cannot leave the state of NC for > 7 days during the entirety of your first year. YOU (as in, not your parents) need to file taxes for NC, beginning the year you're admitted. Generally, people are successful with the process. Some fail, because they don't follow instructions. Failure to follow instructions originates from two sources- willful negligence and ignorance. If, when you read the IS residency requirements, you don't understand something, the onus is on you to get clarification. It is not the school's responsibility to ensure that you're keeping up with what you need to do to claim IS residency. That being said, resources are available to you to help you with the process. It's not rocket science.

Hope this was helpful. Feel free to shoot me a PM should you have any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lab Vet and Geologist, thank you so much; the info was super helpful! I'm still a ways away from even applying, but I wanted to at least get an idea of what the process is like. I'm in California right now, and haven't ever had to deal with residency changes yet, so this is great to know. Are either/both of you at NCSU currently, and if so, would it be ok if I messaged to ask your thoughts/ experiences with the program there? I tried looking up reviews for it on the "School Review" section, but couldn't really find anything.

Reactions: 1 user
Lab Vet and Geologist, thank you so much; the info was super helpful! I'm still a ways away from even applying, but I wanted to at least get an idea of what the process is like. I'm in California right now, and haven't ever had to deal with residency changes yet, so this is great to know. Are either/both of you at NCSU currently, and if so, would it be ok if I messaged to ask your thoughts/ experiences with the program there? I tried looking up reviews for it on the "School Review" section, but couldn't really find anything.
Hi J-wAlt,

I authored the previous post in another thread (and re-pasted it here for your convenience). That experience comes directly from the horse's mouth. I'm currently a second year at NCSU, was accepted OOS, and successfully transferred my residency to IS following the conclusion of my first year. Please feel free to PM me any specific questions you have about the program. At that time, I'll also provide my general impressions of the curriculum, and the institution at large. As a preview, I'm very happy at NCSU. It was my first choice veterinary school, and I consider myself blessed to have been admitted. That being said, no program is perfect, and there are aspects of NCSU's curriculum that I do feel should be highlighted to prospective students, so they know what to expect should they pursue their education at this school. Good luck!