Experience working in Nunavut and Whitehorse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CristinaMed

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there anyone here who has experience or knows of someone who has worked in these areas (or other areas in the Northwest Territories) as a family physician? Please enlighten me with your stories. I am seriously considering a contract (about 3 years long) that would be starting this fall.
 
I've heard wonderful things about yellowknife and I know they have great locum opportunities there but I have never been myself.

The north is an extreme place and not for everyone. The long dark winters can get to you (imagine months passing with no daylight).

3 years is a big committment. Perhaps you should negotiate a shorter term at first (maybe 6 months) with the option to extend it for 3 years if you enjoy it without any penalties. They usually are open to different options if they really want/need you.