Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocHoo

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been reading all of these threads about people and their gpa/mcat scores and what they need to do to get in. I was just wondering how much field experience is good? I am planning to shadow a physician and I am volunteering at a hospital now. I am also attending a pre-med summer camp at St. George University in July. Is this enough to show that I really want to do this and know what it is like? Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

No, you must show your desire by licking bedpans clean during your interview. Don't try to get away with being a punk that's opnly interested in money.

DocHoo said:
I am also attending a pre-med summer camp at St. George University in July.
So do you guys do practice MCATs there or what (maybe with the occassional game of kickball mixed in)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously you have no clue! And maybe you shouldn't become a physician until you gain some interpersonal skills!

you know... a sense of humor is also important in the character of a future physician.

TonyMontana

TonyMontana03 said:
you know... a sense of humor is also important in the character of a future physician.

TonyMontana

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

DocHoo said:
I have been reading all of these threads about people and their gpa/mcat scores and what they need to do to get in. I was just wondering how much field experience is good? I am planning to shadow a physician and I am volunteering at a hospital now. I am also attending a pre-med summer camp at St. George University in July. Is this enough to show that I really want to do this and know what it is like? Thanks for your time!
This type of question is hard to answer...I think motivation is something that shows in your LOR's, personal statements, and interviews more than the list of activities you have. It's also good to get involved in stuff outside a hospital or pre-med setting as well. I mean if almost everyone has experience like that, you're not really gonna stand out.

As much as research really blows (some of you I'm sure disagree), I think it's pretty helpful to at least be able to say you have some experience in the area. As many questions as you can answer yes to, the better. I think schools are also interested in seeing you've pursued various avenues of medicine and you aren't just addicted to reruns of ER...but like someone said earlier, setting yourself apart is the big challenge. Every single applicant has shadowed a doctor or volunteered in a hospital. If your GPA/MCAT is not above average, you have to find something that you can call your own.

vandypatty said:
As much as research really blows (some of you I'm sure disagree), I think it's pretty helpful to at least be able to say you have some experience in the area. As many questions as you can answer yes to, the better. I think schools are also interested in seeing you've pursued various avenues of medicine and you aren't just addicted to reruns of ER...but like someone said earlier, setting yourself apart is the big challenge. Every single applicant has shadowed a doctor or volunteered in a hospital. If your GPA/MCAT is not above average, you have to find something that you can call your own.

I could not agree more. EVERY single applicant has volunteered in a hospital, shadowed a physician, etc. With 7498724942 applications that all have similar stats and the same boring hospital volunteering/shadowing experience...how are the admissions officers going to be able to separate you from the rest of the crowd? At the websites for the top med schools, they always brag about having a former olypmic gold medalist in sacrinized swimming, a former police officer, a former investment banker, and a former stand up comedian in their entering MS1 class. I think these adcoms are looking for people that can really distinguish themselves from the rest of the crowd.

Hospital volunteering really won't help to distinguish you from anyone else in the applicant pool. This is why I think it's SO important to have *unique* extra-curricular activities. All other factors being equal, a student who worked with an international non-governmental organization in Africa and gave public education workshops about AIDS to the citizens of Nigeria would probably be looked more favorably than a student who wracked up over 400 hours of hospital volunteering their local hospital. A student who helped found a non-profit organization that provides college admissions counseling to underprivileged high school students will probably be looked at more favorably than a student who shadowed his family physician during his summers off from school.

We pre-meds like this idea of having a set list or schedule of things you should and shouldn't do. Ok, so they tell us what classes are required, and that you have to take the MCAT and how many LORs you need. But thats it. Beyond that, nothing is required. There is no magic formula for what you need to do. There are no written rules that you need xxx hours of volunteering, x # of times shadowing, x years of research, x # of publications. Resume building does not directly show motivation. Its been said by many others and I can't stress it enough, do what you want to do, do what intrigues you because thats where you will learn the most and come away with something you can talk about that shows who you really are. Find whats really motivating and stress that. Beyond that, be yourself in your PS. Don't do something just to go through the motions. I'm not saying it won't work to get you in somewhere, but lets be real here, you can't go just through the motions forever. Ok, so you've done some things that interested you, shadowed some doctors in specialities, had some clinical experience, when push comes to shove, put some confidence in your background and experiences. Your experiences make you a better candidate for med school today, show that. Basically through a 500 word PS, a couple secondary essays and maybe an interview you have to translate passion and earnestness. Thats the goal, how are you going to do that? Thats all you need to be concerned with.

I agree with with the statements about how important the extracurricular activities can be. I started a motorcycle club and all of my interviewers were more interested in that than any other single topic.

DocHoo said:
Obviously you have no clue! And maybe you shouldn't become a physician until you gain some interpersonal skills!

hmmm....
take two "chill pills" and log back on tomorrow