Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timmah2k

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm in a fix about what to do for experience, but also have enough money to survive. Right now I work as an EMT for a private ambulance company. Good experience, but really poor pay (can barely pay my bills). I was thinking of doing laboratory work, but then there's no patient care in that. Maybe I could do both? I was wondering what other people have done. Thanks.

-Tim

Members don't see this ad.

Clinical Research..the best kept secret of all pre-meds everywhere... =)

heyroth said:
Clinical Research..the best kept secret of all pre-meds everywhere... =)

Clincal research is thought of as better experience than EMT? Where can I find clincal research?

Members don't see this ad :)
timmah2k said:
Clincal research is thought of as better experience than EMT? Where can I find clincal research?

MD school --> best experience for admission = clinical research

DO school --> best experience for admission = EMT

Clinical Years of Medical School --> best experience to get a head start is EMT

Since this is the Pre-DO forum, do the EMT.

I was a volunteer EMT. Who cares about the pay? You get to save lives.....

OSUdoc08 said:

A volunteer EMT? I've honestly never heard of such a thing. I should look into that. Might be more interesting than wiping off beds in the ED.

jason3278 said:
A volunteer EMT? I've honestly never heard of such a thing. I should look into that. Might be more interesting than wiping off beds in the ED.

Around where I live you can volunteer as an EMT with your local fire department. Some departments want you to take fire schools as well, but from what I hear it doesnt take too much time. Some fire departments are split with fire on one side and rescue on the other side.

You still need to take the EMT course and get your certification for your state.

jason3278 said:

What state do you live in that only has paid EMS?

OSUdoc08 said:
What state do you live in that only has paid EMS?

I live in Michigan. Maybe there's just more volunteer EMS out in the more rural areas and not so much in the city. Same as fire departments I guess. You see a lot of volunteers out in the boonies but not so much in the city. That's probably where I should look for volunteer EMS opportunities.

jason3278 said:
I live in Michigan. Maybe there's just more volunteer EMS out in the more rural areas and not so much in the city. Same as fire departments I guess. You see a lot of volunteers out in the boonies but not so much in the city. That's probably where I should look for volunteer EMS opportunities.

You got it.

How does one come upon such a cracked out idea??

OSUdoc08 said:

ambientbaby said:
How does one come upon such a cracked out idea??
i have to second that.
I have been in a tough situations because of money myself and since i a lot of immigrants i have seen a lot of this dilema too. Yeah saving people's lives is great but you need to remeber that not everybody has fin support from their parents etc. Some people have to make hard choices, sometimes even between going to work to have something to put on your table or going to class.
It's hard to be an idealist in such a materialistic and capitalistic world.

1. There are 2 paths into osteopathic medicine:
A. The first path is to get a 4 year degree in a rigorous science area
like immunology and then proceed to osteopathic school.
B. The second path, which I highly advise, is to become a
physician's assistant or nurse practitioner first, and then proceed
to osteopathic school.
2. Contrary to popular opinion, I have met a student with an MCAT as low as 14 that got accepted, but the rest of his resume was VERY impressive. Don't let a "low" MCAT score stop you from persuing osteopathic medicine. Many, but not all, osteopathic schools will evaluate your potential from a well-rounded perspective, not just fixating on your MCAT score, like allopathic schools.
3. Do NOT, however, proceed to a foreign medical school unless you got accepted to St. George's and scored a 22 or above on the MCAT. St. George's, Ross, and SABA are the ONLY "Off-shore" medical schools that are of high quality. The rest are a waste of your money: If you attend there you stand a high chance of ending up in extreme debt, and unable to pass the USMLE.

Please take my advice.

dr.kicia said:
i have to second that.
I have been in a tough situations because of money myself and since i a lot of immigrants i have seen a lot of this dilema too. Yeah saving people's lives is great but you need to remeber that not everybody has fin support from their parents etc. Some people have to make hard choices, sometimes even between going to work to have something to put on your table or going to class.
It's hard to be an idealist in such a materialistic and capitalistic world.

This is a hard decision. I am finacially supported by my parents since I live at home and as an EMT, I barely pay off my bills (car, insurance, etc). I would love to get a better paying job, move out, and be independent, however I feel like it'll risking my chances of getting in by reducing my experience as an EMT. Im confused.