experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AA|FCB|DOC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a sophomore in college and I am interested on getting started on gaining some clinical setting experience! I was wondering if you guys can post some ideas and opportunities that you have or are going to pursue that would give me some clues as to what to look for. I am in San Diego and would greatly appreciate it if anyone in the area knows of any open opportunities. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I just signed up for a volunteer information session at the children's hospital here. There are a couple of areas that include doctor/nurse/staff interaction that I would like to get into. Plus, they have a peds endocrinology fellowship so if I get through med school and residency, I may just end up back here. I know they probably won't remember a volunteer from 10 years ago when I get to that point, but it can't hurt... Right?

I would recommend trying to obtain a medically related job. It will give you a real feel for the profession, not just one where everyone is trying to be nice to you and sugar coat everything. I have 2. At the hospital i work at i have even had Docs i work with come up to me and tell me to come to them when i need LOR's. Highly recommend finding something if you have the time/ if you can

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're not in it for the money (in the short term anyway), then you should have no problem gaining volunteer experience. Look up hospitals and medical clinics in the the San Diego area, try to contact their volunteer departments, and you should have no trouble whatsoever.

In Boston, where I'm from, a college town, they expect (the Mass General Hospital and related systems a/k/a Partners Health Care) so many Pre-Med students seeking clinical experience that they have a volunteer program specifically designed for them. I volunteered at a Rehab Hospital there and just spent time with spinal injury patients (playing cards talking with them, etc.).

If you care, there is no shortage of opportunities, especially in a metro city area!

Best!

If you have time, you could get your CNA or EMS certification and get a job as an ER Tech. :)

I just signed up for a volunteer information session at the children's hospital here. There are a couple of areas that include doctor/nurse/staff interaction that I would like to get into. Plus, they have a peds endocrinology fellowship so if I get through med school and residency, I may just end up back here. I know they probably won't remember a volunteer from 10 years ago when I get to that point, but it can't hurt... Right?

yea that's always good! which children's hospital do you work at?

If you're not in it for the money (in the short term anyway), then you should have no problem gaining volunteer experience. Look up hospitals and medical clinics in the the San Diego area, try to contact their volunteer departments, and you should have no trouble whatsoever.

In Boston, where I'm from, a college town, they expect (the Mass General Hospital and related systems a/k/a Partners Health Care) so many Pre-Med students seeking clinical experience that they have a volunteer program specifically designed for them. I volunteered at a Rehab Hospital there and just spent time with spinal injury patients (playing cards talking with them, etc.).

If you care, there is no shortage of opportunities, especially in a metro city area!

Best!

yea I am not really in it for the money. I'm going to head over to UCSD hospital tomorrow to see if they have anything open.

A lot of people in my class worked as ER Scribes. (Not sure what kind of certification you need for that though).

Others got their EMT certification and did that (really good experience, seeing ugly things, under pressure and you get paid. You need to get certified though).

The easiest (no certification) and most impacting experience in my opinion is working in hospice care. You are going to see the sad side of palliative care and "futile" medicine. Nobody can tell you that you haven't been exposed to the hard side of medicine.

That is what I did (along with some shadowing) and everyone asked about it.

Good luck.