Experiences before Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dvmbound26

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am currently a rising junior and will be applying for vet school in September of 2022. In terms of experiences so far, I have 390 hours at a small animal clinic as a vet assistant, then 450 hours at my current small animal hospital (also sees companion exotics and urgent care), and am projected to have anywhere from 500-700 more hours there by the spring of 2022, and then so on. Due to covid, the internship I planned to complete during the summer of 2020 had been canceled twice. I initially planned to reapply for the summer of 2022, but now I am realizing that will be my last summer before the application is due. The internship is a wildlife care intern. I have also thought about the Tufts summer program, or working at my schools veterinary diagnostic lab during that summer. Keeping in mind that I really need to continue working at this small animal hospital throughout, for financial reasons, and because it is such great experience and honestly so enjoyable.. how should I spend my 2022 summer? I might be wrong, but I consider summer as the peak time for experiences like this, as during school I only have so much time and I need to delegate it to studies and then working. My school has us do a thesis research project of our choosing, which I hope to do somehow with the veterinary diagnostic lab, as I also plan to take an experiences in animal diagnostics class prior to my thesis. Should I scratch working at this diagnostic lab because I will already have hours within it for other purposes and focus on trying to do the internship or Tufts summer program? Side note I currently have a 3.4 GPA, I could potentially get it to a 3.5 but I know my experiences need to be more diverse to make up for it. Lots of info here but I could really use some advice!! :)

Members don't see this ad.