Experiences of Students at DMU and CCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fishwithadeagle

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I'm allowed to post this sort of topic here, but I'm trying to decide between these two schools and would love to hear some first hand experiences with students attending both schools.

If you are available, I'd love to chat over phone or facebook messenger.

I'm mainly looking into rotation sites at each school, research availability, and interaction with the faculty.

Members don't see this ad.

A little googling/searching shows that you're not the first to weigh the pros/cons of either school:

I don't attend either of these schools, but the cost alone was enough for me to make a decision. CCOM's estimated cost of attendance is $440-450,000 depending on which campus you attend. That's absolutely insane.

EDIT: the above link is from 2014. At that point COA was $350,000. Again... absolutely insane.

Members don't see this ad :)
A little googling/searching shows that you're not the first to weigh the pros/cons of either school:

I don't attend either of these schools, but the cost alone was enough for me to make a decision. CCOM's estimated cost of attendance is $440-450,000 depending on which campus you attend. That's absolutely insane.

EDIT: the above link is from 2014. At that point COA was $350,000. Again... absolutely insane.

Yeah, the cost of attendance difference is absolutely crazy. Factoring to around likely 150k when including COL.

The reason why I'm asking now is due to the differences in STEP 1 P/F and changes in residencies between the two dates. CCOM has many more contacts in the Chitown area, along with more research than DMU. It is weighing the COA against that and how it would affect matches into residency at some academic medical center.

Matching into an IM residency at an academic medical center is my ultimate end goal.

Yeah, the cost of attendance difference is absolutely crazy. Factoring to around likely 150k when including COL.

The reason why I'm asking now is due to the differences in STEP 1 P/F and changes in residencies between the two dates. CCOM has many more contacts in the Chitown area, along with more research than DMU. It is weighing the COA against that and how it would affect matches into residency at some academic medical center.

Matching into an IM residency at an academic medical center is my ultimate end goal.

Improve your application for MD schools then. Academic IM is very prestige driven outside of godlike Step scores.

Reactions: 1 user
Improve your application for MD schools then. Academic IM is very prestige driven outside of godlike Step scores.

Damn. This is currently an expensive reapp cycle with little MD love and I am not sure what necessarily was wrong with my application, but I guess I'm going to find out tomorrow since I have a phone conference with one of the med school deans at a school I interviewed at.

DMU is an old school with deep roots. Though I cannot account for their research, one of my best friends went there and matched into gas in Chicago. They seem to have lots of students in the Chicago area, but I have no idea how they do with matching into academic IM. Google their 2019 match results for more info there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
DMU. Save your money. Any difference in quality between the schools is so small that it won't come close to making up the tuition difference

Attend the least expensive school unless you have to be in Chicago for whatever reason. No residency program gives two ****s about what DO school you attend.

Reactions: 2 users
No one knows how the P/F USMLE is going to change the residency app process, but my bet is it will make it so the decision between these 2 schools does not matter at all. I'd go with DMU largely for cost reasons.

Reactions: 1 users
Current DMU student here. During my application cycle, I didn’t even bother applying to CCOM. The tuition is obscene. Feel free to PM me if you have questions about DMU.

DMU is an old school with deep roots. Though I cannot account for their research, one of my best friends went there and matched into gas in Chicago. They seem to have lots of students in the Chicago area, but I have no idea how they do with matching into academic IM. Google their 2019 match results for more info there.

They match very well, just more so across the country. 2019 match results were quite competitive matches, but they have their fair share of community hospitals.

Current DMU student here. During my application cycle, I didn’t even bother applying to CCOM. The tuition is obscene. Feel free to PM me if you have questions about DMU.

I'm trying to message you, but it seems as though your profile is limited. If you could send me a message, I'd love to chat.

Pick DMU (I’m a 3rd year at CCOM).

Pick DMU. I’m a third year at DMU who was accepted to CCOM and Im from the town next to downers grove

Last edited:
Pick DMU. I'm a DMU alum who has an incredibly long list of grievances with DMU, but still think it's better than CCOM.

M1 at CCOM here. Go to DMU, unless you plan on doing HPSP/NHSC or have ties to Chicago and can save money by living at home like I can

..or if you have a rich aunt that could be, erhm..disappeared..easily, leaving you with a sizeable inheritance. Even then though, DMU might still be the better option.