Experiences w/ clinical rotations??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medic741

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, headed to DMU this fall for first year (yay!) but have some 'anxiety' about what rotations are like for DO programs without affiliated teaching hospitals & have a question for any MS3/4 who had to travel between hospitals for rotations

There's ~50/50 to secure year long sites in mostly community hospitals -- so good chance of needing to bounce around a lot.

--How has your experience been with rotations in community hospitals?
--Is it really that 'hard' to have to move every 4 weeks during MS3/4 or is this not such a big deal?

Know clinicals are a while off, but this has been on my mind since putting down the deposit as something I'm nervous about & any experiences are greatly appreciated! Thanks SDN!

Members don't see this ad.

Tagging @hsmooth as I know he went to DMU and is a 2 year attending now.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all, headed to DMU this fall for first year (yay!) but have some 'anxiety' about what rotations are like for DO programs without affiliated teaching hospitals & have a question for any MS3/4 who had to travel between hospitals for rotations

There's ~50/50 to secure year long sites in mostly community hospitals -- so good chance of needing to bounce around a lot.

--Is it really that 'hard' to have to move every 4 weeks during MS3/4 or is this not such a big deal?

Know clinicals are a while off, but this has been on my mind since putting down the deposit as something I'm nervous about & any experiences are greatly appreciated! Thanks SDN!
Have you inquired in the DMU school-specific forums?

Members don't see this ad :)

Community hospitals can be teaching hospitals.

Reactions: 3 users

I was part of the group that moved around every few weeks. Really wasn't that bad. Granted I wasn't married and have no children, I got used to living out of my 2 seater mazda miata for a big part of the year. Just me, my clothes, my playstation, and laptop....drove lots of miles and got to see lots of different places throughout Michigan, Iowa, Pennsylvania, Ohio. For my M4 year I even did 2 month rotations in Hawaii. Was a blast.

My classmates that had family, they opted to stay in the year long rotation sites in Des Moines, and from what I can remember, almost all of them got the situation they were hoping for.

I was part of the group that moved around every few weeks. Really wasn't that bad. Granted I wasn't married and have no children, I got used to living out of my 2 seater mazda miata for a big part of the year. Just me, my clothes, my playstation, and laptop....drove lots of miles and got to see lots of different places throughout Michigan, Iowa, Pennsylvania, Ohio. For my M4 year I even did 2 month rotations in Hawaii. Was a blast.

My classmates that had family, they opted to stay in the year long rotation sites in Des Moines, and from what I can remember, almost all of them got the situation they were hoping for.

Very jealous of you right now.

For do students, is it possible to rotate out of state or can you even do all of your rotations out of stater? Thanks

For do students, is it possible to rotate out of state or can you even do all of your rotations out of stater? Thanks

Entirely dependent on your school and your schedule. If you have a whole elective schedule 4th year then you're free to go whatever you want. 3rd year you're going to probably do whatever your school sets up for you though.

There are a few schools that will allow for this both 3rd year and 4th, LMU for one (they said this to me during an interview long ago). However, I suggest not setting up your own rotations in 3rd year because it will lead to a great chance of both getting dropped and it being only preceptor based.

Entirely dependent on your school and your schedule. If you have a whole elective schedule 4th year then you're free to go whatever you want. 3rd year you're going to probably do whatever your school sets up for you though.

Are there schools with a whole 4th year elective? Half of my 4th year (4 months) is required rotations.

Last edited:
Are there schools with a whole elective 4th year? Half of my 4th year (4 months) is required rotations.

Generally no. Mine is majority electives, only 2 are required.

Are there schools with a whole 4th year elective? Half of my 4th year (4 months) is required rotations.

A lot of schools have EM as a requirement for 4th year. My school has 3 months of required rotations in 4th year.

Stop being nervous about that, be nervous about preclinicals and step 1.

Traveling around can be rough if you have a family, but honestly, if you're single, its really not a big deal. Everything changes in every rotation anyway, so you get used to that.

Have some friends and coresidents from DMU. They all seem to be doing well.

went to a "community" hospital for my entire 3rd year. now I'm at an "academic" hospital.

besides the false sense of elitism and the additional bureaucratic nonsense, there's not any difference. more conferences to attend and more bull ****. no difference in pathology.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users