Experiences with securing H1B vs J1 Visas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrHueyFreeman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m a current MS4 @ a Midwest school applying into IR and DR + gen surgery prelim this upcoming cycle. I’m a Canadian citizen, unmarried, no super strong family ties to the US. Won't be applying CaRMS for radiology because there are very limited spots across Canada (50 total vs ~20 amongst my home programs alone). n

I know the general pros/cons of the H1B (institution has to pay but can stick around after residency) and J1 (less $, but have to return to home country or get waiver for rural/underserved service for 2 years) visas. I’m also relatively familiar with the F1-OPT process and will have that status for intern year.

An H1B would obviously be ideal but given the current political climate + economic struggles, I’m worried that hospitals might be more restrictive when it comes to offering them. On the flip side, I don’t know what going back to Canada would look like (particularly if I need to do fellowship for IR) nor do I know what “rural/underserved” means in the context of the waiver. I wouldn’t mind living a couple hours from a large city but would rather not go to rural West Virginia.

My main questions are:
1) How easy/difficult was it to get an H1B visa from a residency program?
2) At what point in the interview process should it you communicate that you'll need an H1b visa?
3) If you went the J1 route, what is the process for navigating the waiver and the transitioning to an H1b later?
4) Is one path easier than other for getting eventual green card status?

Any and all insight would be super appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m a current MS4 @ a Midwest school applying into IR
I'm a MS4 too! Don't have answers for you, but interested in hearing what other people have to say!
As a side note, make sure integrated IR is eligible for Royal College certification. I have a feeling it might not be!

Hi Fellow Canadians,

Maybe I can give you sight. J1 Visa is easier to obtain then H1b. Cost of H1b visa is paid for by the program while J1 Visa isn't. It is difficult to get an H1B visa for residency and fellowship as most programs don't want to go through the headache of obtaining an H1b and often opt for helping residents get a J1 visa.

So it's not difficult if the program has sponsored a H1b in the past, but more programs only do J1 currently from my experience.

I think bringing up the topic early in the interview process will help, state that you're interested in getting a H1b visa sponsor vs J1, but I would say to tell them you're open for both but prefer h1b so they don't rank you lower during rank season time.

Obtaining a J1 Waiver afterwards for Canadians are easier then other IMG. Conrad 30 is the main J1 Waiver that most post graduates get. This is other options such as getting a waiver for a non-profit that is cap exempt, or doing other types of waivers. if you are unable to get the waiver approved, Canadians can still get a H1b but won't count towards the requirement for waiver so you can't do a status change later to a green card until it's fulfilled.

H1b is preferred so you can apply for a Green card earlier vs J1 visa which you have to do a waiver before you can apply for a green card. That being said, I think having your goals in mind if you wish to stay in the US vs go back to Canada to practice. Other than FM which is an easier transition to go back to Canada to practice without taking any additional exam, rest have hurdles you must cross. I recommend you research what you want to do and if you'll back able to go back to practice in Canada afterwards.

I'm currently a fellow, doing a PGY4 year in geriatrics so I can fulfill the Canadian requirements since IM in 4 years in Canada. I'm thinking of doing a waiver first prior to going back to Canada to save some money as the process in Canada can be lengthy before you get paid. Just personal preference for me.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Fellow Canadians,

Maybe I can give you sight. J1 Visa is easier to obtain then H1b. Cost of H1b visa is paid for by the program while J1 Visa isn't. It is difficult to get an H1B visa for residency and fellowship as most programs don't want to go through the headache of obtaining an H1b and often opt for helping residents get a J1 visa.

So it's not difficult if the program has sponsored a H1b in the past, but more programs only do J1 currently from my experience.

I think bringing up the topic early in the interview process will help, state that you're interested in getting a H1b visa sponsor vs J1, but I would say to tell them you're open for both but prefer h1b so they don't rank you lower during rank season time.

Obtaining a J1 Waiver afterwards for Canadians are easier then other IMG. Conrad 30 is the main J1 Waiver that most post graduates get. This is other options such as getting a waiver for a non-profit that is cap exempt, or doing other types of waivers. if you are unable to get the waiver approved, Canadians can still get a H1b but won't count towards the requirement for waiver so you can't do a status change later to a green card until it's fulfilled.

H1b is preferred so you can apply for a Green card earlier vs J1 visa which you have to do a waiver before you can apply for a green card. That being said, I think having your goals in mind if you wish to stay in the US vs go back to Canada to practice. Other than FM which is an easier transition to go back to Canada to practice without taking any additional exam, rest have hurdles you must cross. I recommend you research what you want to do and if you'll back able to go back to practice in Canada afterwards.

I'm currently a fellow, doing a PGY4 year in geriatrics so I can fulfill the Canadian requirements since IM in 4 years in Canada. I'm thinking of doing a waiver first prior to going back to Canada to save some money as the process in Canada can be lengthy before you get paid. Just personal preference for me.

Hope this helps.

Hello! I was wondering do you know if its required to return to our home province if we are on the J1 visa or can it be anywhere in Canada?

Hello! I was wondering do you know if its required to return to our home province if we are on the J1 visa or can it be anywhere in Canada?

Anywhere in Canada. Can’t be another country as it won’t count towards your home residency requirement on a J1.

@randomguymd Thanks for the information!!
Just a follow up question for J1 waiver jobs, I know Conrad 30 is sponsored by the state and has a cap of 30.
What about VA jobs? that doesn't go through the state right, as VA is separate government agency, have you heard anything about VA sponsoring J1 waiver application?
Also how would one go about finding these positions?

@randomguymd Thanks for the information!!
Just a follow up question for J1 waiver jobs, I know Conrad 30 is sponsored by the state and has a cap of 30.
What about VA jobs? that doesn't go through the state right, as VA is separate government agency, have you heard anything about VA sponsoring J1 waiver application?
Also how would one go about finding these positions?

VA need to show they tried to recruit American physicians first prior to sponsoring. Usually there isnt many sites that sponsor J1 in the VA systems. There is non-profit groups that are. AP excerpt as well as options.
Usually most physician recruiting sites tel you if they sponsor J1 or not.

if you are unable to get the waiver approved, Canadians can still get a H1b but won't count towards the requirement for waiver so you can't do a status change later to a green card until it's fulfilled.
Hi randomguymd:
I am in the same boat as you, currently a Canadian PGY-2 resident in IM who is thinking about waiver job vs going home. Would you mind elaborating a little more on this? I thought you cannot get a H1b unless you do the waiver for J1 (or go home for 2 years)?

On a less related note, I was planning on applying to a competitive fellowship in my PGY-3 year. I wonder what my options are if I do not match? Can I do 1 year of waiver job then apply again and go back in training? Or do I have to finish my 3 years waiver job and then apply again (this will probably make me kiss the fellowship goodbye...3 years out of training).... :(

Thank you so much for your insight!

I’m a current MS4 @ a Midwest school applying into IR and DR + gen surgery prelim this upcoming cycle. I’m a Canadian citizen, unmarried, no super strong family ties to the US. Won't be applying CaRMS for radiology because there are very limited spots across Canada (50 total vs ~20 amongst my home programs alone). n

I know the general pros/cons of the H1B (institution has to pay but can stick around after residency) and J1 (less $, but have to return to home country or get waiver for rural/underserved service for 2 years) visas. I’m also relatively familiar with the F1-OPT process and will have that status for intern year.

An H1B would obviously be ideal but given the current political climate + economic struggles, I’m worried that hospitals might be more restrictive when it comes to offering them. On the flip side, I don’t know what going back to Canada would look like (particularly if I need to do fellowship for IR) nor do I know what “rural/underserved” means in the context of the waiver. I wouldn’t mind living a couple hours from a large city but would rather not go to rural West Virginia.

My main questions are:
1) How easy/difficult was it to get an H1B visa from a residency program?
2) At what point in the interview process should it you communicate that you'll need an H1b visa?
3) If you went the J1 route, what is the process for navigating the waiver and the transitioning to an H1b later?
4) Is one path easier than other for getting eventual green card status?

Any and all insight would be super appreciated!
You need Step 3 done to qualify for an H1B, so typically not an option when getting a visa upon applying to residency.

You need Step 3 done to qualify for an H1B, so typically not an option when getting a visa upon applying to residency.
Not if you are US MD grad.
Programs generally allow you to work on OPT for the intern year, and then you apply for H1B as soon as you pass step 3.

Does anyone have any insight regardingg H1B and J1 visas for Podiatrists?

Hi Fellow Canadians,

Hope this helps.

Now BC allows US trained ER, Psych, IM to practice without hurdles. Nova Scotia allows US trained physicians to practice without specialty restrictions. Also Atlantic provinces have a common license registration system maybe this also means can practice in any of the five provinces.