1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Experimental Questions

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by bujji13, Apr 28, 2002.

1. bujji13

bujji13 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Lately, I have been hearing a lot of people mention how some questions on the MCAT are
    experimental. Are these questions placed randomly throughout the test, or concentrated
    within one passage (like the SAT)? Also, do
    experimental questions count towards our scores?
    I ask because all of the questions in the AAMC
    practice tests counted, according to their
    sample scoring scale.

2. TechMan

TechMan Dreams Stuff are Made of.
    10+ Year Member

I was sorta wondering the same thing about the practice tests... this could be one of the reasons that a lot of people end up doing a few points better on the real thing, as opposed to the practice exams.

3. RT

RT Rt
    7+ Year Member

So far, I haven't seen any reliable source specifying that there are experimental questions on the MCAT. Word of mouth could be just rumor.

4. Asclepius

Asclepius 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I remember seeing a message posted on the MCAT website, e-mcat, by one of the directors of the MCAT saying that the AMCAS practice tests had the experiemental questions removed.

5. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member
    7+ Year Member

If you read the booklet that comes with the by-paper registration... it says that there are indeed experimental questions on the MCAT, in all sections (except writing I'm sure). But that's all they say about it. They give no hint as to if the experimental parts are entire passages or isolated questions.

You could try calling them to ask.

Hopes this helps :)

6. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    On my MCAT form EK, i got a question that was directly off the AAMC practice test VI. So, i think experimental questions do exist. It was a random question though, not one in a particular passage.

7. NE_Cornhusker1

NE_Cornhusker1 12" Member
    7+ Year Member

The K and R species question in the 2001 August MCAT comes to mind. Do a search for it once the search function works again, if it does.