Experimental Questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chevellerolet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, what's the deal with experimental questions? I got really bored studying, so I took a break to read some other threads on here, and I'm more than confused with what these are.

If you get one right, do they count for you? Is there any way to predict which ones are experimental, and which aren't? How many are there usually per test?

Can someone shed some light...please.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, what's the deal with experimental questions? I got really bored studying, so I took a break to read some other threads on here, and I'm more than confused with what these are.

If you get one right, do they count for you?
No. Before a question is included in the bank, they need to get a feel for whether it is an easy, medium or hard question. To do this they include them as extra questions that carry no value to get the statistical analysis.
Is there any way to predict which ones are experimental, and which aren't?
No, unless there's a typo or something. I'd recommend that you forget you even found out there are experimental questions. You need to treat every question like it's a real one.
How many are there usually per test?
There are theories, but no one really knows for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
no one can answer your questions definitively, its all speculations, maybe if you dig around the nbme site you may come across something although i doubt it

on a different note you can just assume every question is experimental and just freestyle the entire test :laugh:

It does suck though, especially if you waste a lot of time on a hard question, that could be experimental, forcing you to rush through real questions. I think having sample questions in such an important test is outrageous, considering what the test cost. If anything, they should strictly use these in the school administered CBSEs, or something else.

It does suck though, especially if you waste a lot of time on a hard question, that could be experimental, forcing you to rush through real questions. I think having sample questions in such an important test is outrageous, considering what the test cost. If anything, they should strictly use these in the school administered CBSEs, or something else.

If they were not used in a real test setting they wouldn't get accurate feedback on the questions. It sucks but in general one shouldn't spend a lot of time on 1 question whether there are experimental questions are not, it's just not worth it