Experimental sections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

threemusketeers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it true that some passages in each section are experimental material? if so, are they graded? How could it be fair to grade experimental questions?

Members don't see this ad.

threemusketeers said:
is it true that some passages in each section are experimental material? if so, are they graded? How could it be fair to grade experimental questions?

I believe experimental sections are on the GRE. I have never heard of any on the MCAT.

I've heard the same thing for experimental sections. I have no idea how that works since all the scales I've seen take into account every section. It wouldn't make any sense to add extra questions either unless they add extra time, but then that would screw things up even more (what if someone skips the experimental passage by luck and spends the extra time doing graded problems?)

Mister Pie said:
I've heard the same thing for experimental sections. I have no idea how that works since all the scales I've seen take into account every section. It wouldn't make any sense to add extra questions either unless they add extra time, but then that would screw things up even more (what if someone skips the experimental passage by luck and spends the extra time doing graded problems?)

ya exactly. i'm pretty sure i read on aamc's mcat website that at least one passage per section is experimental, intended to test questions that will be used in the future. But i don't know how this figures into the grading scheme.

It is a fact that aamc includes one exp. passage per section but they are NOT used in coming up with your scores. The problem is that they do not tell you which one it is (for obvious reasons), as threemusk. said it is used to gauge the difficulty of the questions for future use.