Experimental vs Clinical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdenniso

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in my senior year of college and I am in the middle of putting applications together for graduate school. Though I believe that a PhD in clinical psychology would best serve my professional goals a faculty member whom I conduct research with is encouraging me to explore experimental programs. My main interests are researching the neuroendocrinology and psychopathology of depression and related stress disorders. I believe that even though I am mainly interested in research that it would be incredibly beneficial to have a clinical training even though I only plan to research the issue and would also allow for more flexible professional goals if I ever became interested in practice. Experimental programs tend to have a less scary acceptance rate and may also help me build myself as a professional researcher. I am having trouble weighing the pro's and con's of each and while I have found possible mentors who are interested in either neuroendocrinology or depression and stress disorders it is difficult to find someone who's interest encompasses both of these items.
Feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

When I was applying to grad school, I considered applying to developmental in addition to clinical. However, when I did a lit search to help identify professors with common interests, I found that they were all at clinical programs. That made my decision for me and so I only applied to clinical. What types of programs are your potential profs housed in?

Best,
Dr. E

Are you current on publications coming out about neuroendocrinology? I would suggest going back and finding the most recent publications, specifically the ones related to depression, and find out where the professors are that wrote and contributed to the studies. If you already feel that specialized, go ahead and market yourself to those professors and that program. Go visit the schools and meet them face to face, talk about their research and show an interest. Professors love a good ego stroking, especially when it is in regards to their research. I think for research the clinical/experimental will matter less than getting a solid match with someone who is already prominent in that field of research.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know of a couple of researchers who do research in that domain; feel free to PM me. I too want to be a researcher but I value my clinical training since my research area is in a clinical area. I'm glad I am getting clinical training so I can understand the "full picture" and can collaborate wisely with clinicians.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm wasting all this time seeing clients since that's not my activity of choice, but I do enjoy seeing the "direct" benefits my work can have, too.

When I was applying to grad school, I considered applying to developmental in addition to clinical. However, when I did a lit search to help identify professors with common interests, I found that they were all at clinical programs. That made my decision for me and so I only applied to clinical. What types of programs are your potential profs housed in?

Best,
Dr. E
Unfortunatley, a lot tend to be in Psychiatry programs or outside of the country. I'd really rather not try to change my undergraduate degree into a pre-med nor am I really interested in a M.D. degree or medicine that isn't psychologically oriented. I would also like to keep in the U.S. if I'm going to obtain a clinical degree for a number of reasons
Thank you though I think I will try to concentrate my search through the research literature.

Experimental programs have an easier acceptance rate, but IMO the job market is tougher.