Explaining a bad semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tweek125

Sir Drinksalot
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
back story: i'm a freshman, this is my first semester in college, and i was doing alright until i started missing class. the reason i was missing my class, however, was because i wasn't able to get my MDD meds and ended up getting into a hole. basically, the only way i was able to get my meds was to go to the hospital and i ended up staying a week and missing even more class. i know this is a legitimate reason for my absence and decrease in grades, but i'm somewhat hesitant on explaining the details to medical schools. would admitting what happened in full hurt my chances at acceptance? are applicants with MDD looked down upon, even if medicated?

in reference to the grades - the classes aren't conceptually impossible for me, i know i can do well in them, it's just that it's nearly impossible to get good grades you aren't able to attend class.

Members don't see this ad.

I faced a similar situation that you did, only I decided to withdraw from most of my classes, earning "W"'s for the semester. I'm also curious as to how med schools would view this, and what to tell them...

I faced a similar situation that you did, only I decided to withdraw from most of my classes, earning "W"'s for the semester. I'm also curious as to how med schools would view this, and what to tell them...

yeah the doctor i saw recommended i do the same, but i didn't have the money to withdraw and then start up again next semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fortunately you're only a freshman. If I were you I'd play catch-up as much as possible--find lecture slides online, go to office hours, buddy up to a classmate with good note-taking skills, etc. Pull your grades up as much as possible, but remember that adcoms are used to seeing somewhat mediocre first semesters in college.

I wouldn't recommend bringing up your MDD to adcoms. The general consensus around here seems to be that there's still a lot of stigma against mental illness. Adcoms might question whether you can handle the stress of med school.

Best of luck getting through this tough time. I struggled with anxiety and depression my freshman year of college and I understand how debilitating these rough patches can be.

Fortunately you're only a freshman. If I were you I'd play catch-up as much as possible--find lecture slides online, go to office hours, buddy up to a classmate with good note-taking skills, etc. Pull your grades up as much as possible, but remember that adcoms are used to seeing somewhat mediocre first semesters in college.

I wouldn't recommend bringing up your MDD to adcoms. The general consensus around here seems to be that there's still a lot of stigma against mental illness. Adcoms might question whether you can handle the stress of med school.

Best of luck getting through this tough time. I struggled with anxiety and depression my freshman year of college and I understand how debilitating these rough patches can be.

yeah i was worried they would question my ability to handle their school. i was thinking of trying to explain that a treated condition is completely different than an untreated condition, but i would probably still be looked down upon.