Explaining bad first semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PremedKid4

Reaction score
So Albany asks:
  1. Please explain any inconsistencies in your university, graduate, or professional school academic performance and/or MCAT scores. (1000 characters)

I had a really bad first semester (2.9x). Every semester afterward was a 3.8+

Is this a time to explain how I learned to use resources and better manage my time? Or am I calling attention to something I shouldnt?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Think of it as providing context (very briefly) for the bad semester and then focus on what you learned and changed to improve. You only have 1000 characters so it has to be succinct. I recommend responding.

Reactions: 1 users
If given the option it’s almost always better to briefly describe any extenuating circumstances and move on. Something is better than nothing, if nothing is provided then the school has no context on what may have been going on at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Think of it as providing context (very briefly) for the bad semester and then focus on what you learned and changed to improve. You only have 1000 characters so it has to be succinct. I recommend responding.
what if it was just simple adjusting to college and not using my time correctly?

Yes, this answers the prompt. It is exactly what that question is for.

what if it was just simple adjusting to college and not using my time correctly?
Then say so and point to the improved grades once you got your act together. It doesn't have to be long.

Reactions: 1 users