Explaining a poor grade in Orgo II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pazan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received a C+ in Orgo II sophomore year (B in Orgo I and B in Biochem), which was right at the class average. My GPA really isn't that bad -- a 3.5 overall and BCPM -- and I have a good MCAT (35T), but the Orgo II grade is really going to sting and likely reduce my chances. I really wasn't prepared to take Orgo when I did; I had poor study habits that didn't improve until after my MCAT and was working, researching, and volunteering that quarter... I realize plenty of people have the same things going on and still do well in the class, so I'm at a loss as to how to explain my grade because those reasons really aren't excuses. My senior year GPA was over a 3.9, and I feel like if I retook Orgo now I would probably ace it, but it's in the past and there's nothing I can do about it now.

Anyone have a similar grade they had to explain?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have heard and read, one class is not going to make or break your app, so i would not worry about the grade, if it comes up in the interview just be honest and tell them about how you had to work volunteer and everything and even that you had poor study habits. Because your habits have changed for the better now that should not be a big deal, in fact it shows your improvement. Anyway, I do not recommend retaking the class, your MCAT score is amazing and that alone should illustrate that you can handle science classes. Good luck!

Yeah, I would agree not to worry too much about it. As long as your science gpa is good you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the positive comments -- that's pretty much how I view the grade (one out of many that doesn't indicate my ability). But, I can't help wondering how the ad coms will view it, especially since they look for reasons to reject qualified applicants.

Any need to write about it in the personal comments section of the secondaries? Or am I better of not drawing attention to it?

i am in the same boat:scared: i dont know wut i am gonna say or do!!! iam super worried about that. My GPA is ok 3.63BCPM and 3.7 overall but i got 3 Cs over my whole undergrad career, and all of them are sciences!!!!!! i dont know wut i am gonna say if(when) it comes up in interviews

Relax.

I got a C in Orgo II, a B- in Orgo I, a C in Cell & Developmental biology, a C in Calc I, and a D in Calc II, but I still got into a top-20 medical school.

If you've got a good MCAT and a good interview, it won't matter.

I had a D in orgo 2 and C+ orgo 1. At the time of my interview it was the first question they asked and I was just honest: told them I had a defeated attitude and didn't study and failed. They seemed satisfied with the answer. You can never go wrong with the truth

if it is your only C in a prerec just let it go. If asked say, "I did poorly, my bad."

Dont try and explain it away. Just accept responsibility. Almost everyone has a few scuffs on their transcript. You get into trouble when you make up excuses or try and explain it.

if it is your only C in a prerec just let it go. If asked say, "I did poorly, my bad."

Dont try and explain it away. Just accept responsibility. Almost everyone has a few scuffs on their transcript. You get into trouble when you make up excuses or try and explain it.

Thanks, that's what I was going to say regardless... it was just good to hear other people went through the same thing and came out of it alright.