Explaining CARS score in secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LHmakesyouovulate

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted all of your thoughts on using a high ACT English score to provide evidence of a high level of proficiency in critical thinking and reasoning to explain a 124 CARS score.. I would briefly reference it in the additional comments section of secondary.

I know it sounds childish but one of my friends did so and go accepted last cycle.

Please be nice

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on what the ACT score was...also your BIO and Psych/Soc sections

ACT isn't a consideration for medical school admission. Bringing it up has the appearance of trying to scapegoat your weaknesses. That could paint you in a very childish light.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You're trying to explain an average (just about 50th percentile) MCAT score (average test taker, not matriculant, but nonetheless). If you're not Canadian and your overall score is competitive I wouldn't say anything about it unless an interviewer brings it up.

ummm, no. Just no.

Nope...why ACT English (Writing)? It seems like you didn't do so hot on ACT Reading which is the most similar to CARS...

ACT English(Writing) has no resemblance to CARS...I remember I didn't even think, I just read and picked the answer that sounded right...lol.

Hey all,

I don't mean to take OP's thread, but I was wondering the same thing. I have a CARS score of 122, and even though I am not technically ESL, I learned Arabic and English at the same time, but English slowly took over to become my native language. I cannot seem to have another explanation for why this section was so, so low. My other scores are 4-5 points higher than this section.

Edit: I spent every single day for ~15 weeks working on verbal reasoning passages, and I fluctuated a lot with those scores. Would this be OK for me to mention in secondaries?

Never, ever bring attention to a negative.

I wanted all of your thoughts on using a high ACT English score to provide evidence of a high level of proficiency in critical thinking and reasoning to explain a 124 CARS score.. I would briefly reference it in the additional comments section of secondary.

I know it sounds childish but one of my friends did so and go accepted last cycle.

Please be nice

Hey all,

I don't mean to take OP's thread, but I was wondering the same thing. I have a CARS score of 122, and even though I am not technically ESL, I learned Arabic and English at the same time, but English slowly took over to become my native language. I cannot seem to have another explanation for why this section was so, so low. My other scores are 4-5 points higher than this section.

Edit: I spent every single day for ~15 weeks working on verbal reasoning passages, and I fluctuated a lot with those scores. Would this be OK for me to mention in secondaries?

CARS is tough for even native speakers. Typically, the people who do well in CARS read extensively or at least had some period in their childhood/teens where they read a lot. 15 weeks may not show a noticeable difference in CARS; verbal skills come over a very time period of time.

The ACT was nothing like the CARS section on the MCAT. Hell, even the old MCAT's verbal reasoning section was a cakewalk compared to CARS on the new MCAT, IMO.

Never, ever bring attention to a negative.
This is such sound advice. But then, you have secondaries like Davis' where theyb specifically ask you "is there anything that would be concerning to adcom on your application? Please address." Say we do have a lower undergrad gpa that underwent post bac repair. Or took the MCAT too many times or some other variable that actually might be concerning. Would we just say "nope" and move on? Or is this the way some adcoms get past your very sound advice, thereby forcing us to draw attention to negatives? It seems the latter would be the case? Sneaky adcoms!!!

When you get a prompt, then it's OK!

This is such sound advice. But then, you have secondaries like Davis' where theyb specifically ask you "is there anything that would be concerning to adcom on your application? Please address." Say we do have a lower undergrad gpa that underwent post bac repair. Or took the MCAT too many times or some other variable that actually might be concerning. Would we just say "nope" and move on? Or is this the way some adcoms get past your very sound advice, thereby forcing us to draw attention to negatives? It seems the latter would be the case? Sneaky adcoms!!!

Hey all,

Being ESL is not a valid excuse for a 122 in CARS. Tons of applicants are ESL. Also, if you learned English young enough for it to take over as your native language, then you definitely should not be very affected by that.

I didn't even know you can do that.

Please be nice
I think your friend got in IN SPITE of doing something that childish.

Being ESL is not a valid excuse for a 122 in CARS. Tons of applicants are ESL. Also, if you learned English young enough for it to take over as your native language, then you definitely should not be very affected by that.
Might be harsh, but this is true. Most first generation kids including myself learned two languages at once. I scored a 130. It's possible.