Explaining C's in interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

green plastic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If an interviewer asks me why I got a C in certain courses, what would be the best way to explain it? I simply think I tried the best I could at that time and I had horrible professors for some classes, but I don't wanna look like i'm blaming my grade on a professor.

Members don't see this ad.

Say that My profs gave out very few A's and that C does not reflect my performance. If you did well in a more advanced course, then you can refer to that. If it's a science class and you did well on your science sections of the mcat, they you can allude that. You just have to counter your weaknesses with strengths and improvements.

Absolutely do NOT blame it on the professor or anything else that was essentially out of your control. It'll appear as if you're looking for a scapegoat and can't take personal responsibility (not exactly the impression you want to give your interviewers). I would do my best to convey exactly why you made a C. Was it early in your academic career when you weren't prepared for the rigor of the course? Was it a really challenging semester academically with other tough courses? Did you have outside issues (family problems, being far away from home, etc)? Also, if you can put earning a C grade in the best possible light, that will help. What I mean by that is if you earned a C earlier in your career, but then did well in subsequent difficult courses, you can demonstrate how you learned from your past mistakes/issues and improved yourself. Finally, Cs aren't the end all/be all of an application... I had a C+ on my transcript in a premed course and not one interviewer brought that up... I've been accepted at some top tier schools thus far, so I don't think it made that much of a difference to them. Don't psych yourself out about a C--most likely it won't make a difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for helping calm my fears too, Josehernandez! I got a C+ in Physics I and am currently taking Physics II. In about a month and a half I have an interview for an early assurance program (at MCO) and thats the ONE part of my app I've been stressing about. I have brought my grade up to an A in physics this semester, and I'm gonna take your advice and try my best to emphasize my improvement--I REFUSE TO PSYCH MYSELF OUT!

I had a D and like five C's, noone ever asked about it. only about my "record" in general

You know, that is the one thing that concerns me too. I got a C in Bio 1 and a C+ in Chem 2. Fortunatley, I'm showing SIGNIFICANT improvement now in my sciences classes as a sophomore but it pains me to have to "make up" for those grades. It's really hard. It's one of those "if only I knew then what I know now," kind of things. For me, I jinxed myself into thinking that I couldn't handle a college curriculum- that everyone else was capable of doing well except me. It was all mental. And, obviously, it showed. Now I DO realize that it's capable, and that as long as you THINK you can do it, you WILL do it. And on my past exam, I got the highest grade I've ever gotten on an exam, and I was like, "TAKE THAT ORGO, YOU LITTLE BIOTCH!!!" Anyways, best of luck. I know what it's like, and now I have to make up for my insecurites. I just hope adcoms will see that. :scared: +pity+

ive been asked why my grades my first semester at school were so low.

i explained honestly that it was completely my fault. i wasnt willing to sacrifice sleep that first semester to go to 8am discussion sessions and that cost me 1/4 of my grade. but then i said i adjusted my lifestyle to make sure i would attend all my classes after that incident.

my other isolated Cs were not brought up.

My isolated Cs were not brought up (ie, Italian 2-- I made As in Italian 1, 3, and 4, but flaked in 2). But my theme for my first 2 years was "C is for chemistry, that's good enough for me". I made Cs in 5 chem classes. And they definitely asked about it. I told them that I was young and hadn't learned how to study and hadn't learned how to prioritize my time (I was working 3 jobs at the time), and then I pointed out the upper-level classes that I did well in and my As from where I retook orgo after I graduated (its amazing what a difference studying can make-- I loved orgo the second time). I also pointed out that my bad grades were given 6 years ago, and that my work ethic has changed significantly since then. One school said that it wasn't really an issue b/c my grades made such a dramatic improvement, and the other school just didn't buy it. But I'm happier here then I would have been at the school that didn't like my grades, so it worked out. :)

good luck. A couple of Cs isn't going to kill you. Just don't blame it on the prof and you should be okay.

it's a difficult thing to plan out. you definitely don't want your answer to sound rehearsed, as you really want conversation to flow naturally. you need to appear more sincere than programmed. acknowledge the validity of the question/concern (if it's posed as concern). provide as objective a reason as possible as to why it turned out that way (did not study enough, did not have a grasp on the material, underestimated the breadth of the material, etc.). come up with a specific example of improvement since then in a field/class as close to that one as possible. mention some greater goal you now have that ensures you wouldn't handle a tough class like that now. affirm that this situation turned out to be a great learning experience. be enthusiastic about all of these points.

i think it's ok to seem as tho you've thot a bit abt this type of question, since you really need to have thot abt your performance in such cases. in this way, it's a fair question, so treat it as such. my conclusion after successfully weathering these types of questions is that you can handle it well enough that no matter what the original concern was, your iv'er is entirely reassured by your response.

even if you can't do all of these things fluently and confidently enough to nail them all, you could hit upon of a few of them strongly to ensure the direction of the answer is positive for your iv'er. the best way to do this is to begin consciously thinking about any issues of your app that could fall into this category in these ways during your free time. thereby, you'll be prepared for any potential iv questions along these lines. good luck.

Don't sound like you are whining, DON'T blame the prof, don't go on and on. Just be straight forward and honest.

Tell them you didn't do well that semester, but you feel you did learn more than that C reflects. If you have no other C's, I don't think they will even ask you about it.

Unless you have a bunch of C's I would not worry about explaining them at all. I got 3 C's in for years all in one semester. I explained briefly in my personal statement that my grandmother died during my final exams so I bombed them. This year, all my interviews have said that is understandable. the first time I applied, one of my schools said that shows I care too much and they would be concerned about that. Yeah, right:mad: :rolleyes:

Green Plastic,

You could always take the devil's advocate role and play reverse psychology:

"Sure, I got a couple of C's. Didn't you ever get C's when you were in college? Any late nights at the bar before test day?"

Okay, that might not go over very well, esp. if the interviewer had neither. I agree with what others have said here... a few C's
wont hurt you, esp. if you've worked hard to get better grades in advanced courses. The adcoms understand that college students make booboos, and they won't crucify you for it. If your MCAT and ECs are tight, don't worry about it.

Best of luck on those interviews!
H&T