Explaining grades below B in one of my secondaries, how should I do it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

libraryismyhome

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Though I have 3.76 GPA and an upward trend (3.6 in Freshman to 3.98 in Senior), I have one C+ in biology 1 during the very first semester in college and a drop in Calculus 3 in Sophomore year Fall term, and one of secondary questions is asking me to explain academic difficulties and requiring me to explain all grades below B.

During the first semester, I seriously didn't know how to study for college courses. So I started from a C and D in the first two test then ended up with an A in the final. The overall grade was still C+.

During the Fall term of my sophomore year, I dropped Calculus 3. I was extremely burned out after taking Orgo 1, orgo 2, and lab over the Summer term. (well I did pretty well on orgos)

As you can see, these are not good excuses, and all I can say is that I didn't have a good study skill and time management skill, so I learned from them and improved my grades in harder courses during my upper years.

Would there be a better way to explain?
 
Though I have 3.76 GPA and an upward trend (3.6 in Freshman to 3.98 in Senior), I have one C+ in biology 1 during the very first semester in college and a drop in Calculus 3 in Sophomore year Fall term, and one of secondary questions is asking me to explain academic difficulties and requiring me to explain all grades below B.

During the first semester, I seriously didn't know how to study for college courses. So I started from a C and D in the first two test then ended up with an A in the final. The overall grade was still C+.

During the Fall term of my sophomore year, I dropped Calculus 3. I was extremely burned out after taking Orgo 1, orgo 2, and lab over the Summer term. (well I did pretty well on orgos)

As you can see, these are not good excuses, and all I can say is that I didn't have a good study skill and time management skill, so I learned from them and improved my grades in harder courses during my upper years.

Would there be a better way to explain?

They're not going to care.
Reserve your secondary for something a bit more touching.
 
If they asked for it specifically on a secondary, I think they do care. But like dpsPanda said, I wouldn't go into detail about the individual grades.

Thank you guys. But could you or dpsPanda please detail what you mean by detailing the individual grades? Are you talking about C and D from A in Bio 1 or mentioning C+ in Bio 1 and W in Calc 3?

The question was ".If you have experienced academic difficulties, please explain the situation and how it was resolved. (Please explain all grades less than a "B" (including B-) or any "withdrawal" on your transcripts)."


.