Explaining poor grades--is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charlotter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'll get right to it. My freshman year grades weren't up to my academic capabilities. In short, I was sexually assaulted during my first semester at school and I lost pretty much all ability to focus on anything, especially school. Coping with the aftermath meant school was the last thing on my mind.

I made it out with a 2.8 my first semester and a 3.09 my second semester. In comparison, the semesters since have been: 3.83, 3.91, 4.0, & this semester is TBD as I have yet to finish my finals. I'm a second semester junior. My cumulative GPA is currently a 3.53 after 5 semesters, before re-taking any courses.

I know the grades aren't awful, but in comparison to what I've done since, they aren't great. That first year I took Chem I (C) and Bio I (B-) & II (B+). I'm retaking Chem 1 this fall and then taking Chem 2 next spring.

Another concern of mine is my grade in physics this semester. I got an A in Phys I last semester, but might end up with a B or B+ in Phys 2 this semester. The reason behind that is that I am finally able to press charges against the person who sexually assaulted me, and the whole conduct + hearing process is currently underway. I was all set to land an A in Phys 2 until this legal stuff happened right in the middle of the semester and has continued through finals, and now it looks like I'll be getting a B in the course. B+ if I'm lucky.

I'm wondering if I should go ahead and prepare to write a statement explaining why my grades were impacted and why they don't reflect my capabilities. I'm afraid to have to explain the sexual assault though, I don't want schools looking at me differently because of it. Also, do these statements have to be written by the student? I know when applying to undergrad college counselors/guidance counselors were able to write them, but I'm guessing that's not true for graduate school. I was hoping to get my dean of students to write the statement explaining it.

Any info/guidance/advice would be helpful. Again, I know these grades aren't awful but they're less than what I'd consider myself capable of. Just not sure if they're "bad enough" to warrant explanation.

You cGPA is fine, just work to keep it up next year and it shouldn't be a problem, make sure you focus on GRE and observation hours in a few different places. As so explaining the grades thats your decision, if you don't want to then don't as your cGPA is high enough to meet the minimums out there and you are re-taking a class you got a C in, programs will see that. Keep up the good work as of now I would focus on the rest of your application rather than worry about the 1 or 2 "bad" grades.

Reactions: 1 user
If you want to write about it, you could consider describing the incident more generally. "In my first year of school, I dealt with an unexpected serious personal event." I might go on to mention that you received the support you needed at that time (or support from the school).

For this semester, have you talked to your teacher yet? If your class isn't over, there is always hope here. Can you push back your final? Were there any missed assignments due to you being going for legal stuff? I've had some luck with a teacher or 2 when there were truly outside circumstances and affected a key point in time. In one class, the teacher was able to grant me an "incomplete" at semester end and then I had a few weeks to finish the requirements. It's really worth asking I think.

One interesting idea for you is to use the dean for a letter of recommendation (IF you want the school to share this information and don't think you could do it yourself). In this case, they could mention the event (however you feel comfortable) and then go on to talk about your strength of character in overcoming this event. But again, with that option the schools would see the information.

I agree with the above poster that I don't think your overall GPA is bad. You could say nothing and do just fine as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your cGPA is decent enough and you have a great upward trend so I wouldn't freak about it. It doesn't look like you had a bunch of F's as a freshman either based on that 2.8, probably just a couple of C's? I would seriously consider not putting anything on your application about it and only talking about it in an interview. Most of the time applications are screened for interviews based on overall GPA, pre-req GPA, GRE score, etc., not a careful analysis of individual semesters. I guess you could mention something briefly but I wouldn't go into detail on PTCAS. I suppose you could try talking to the admissions offices at the schools you are applying to for advice too.

Just to reiterate what was already said (because I have nothing else to do except wait for school to start lol), there's no real need to talk about it if you don't want to. DesertPT is absolutely right: first pass at applicants just looks at the numbers, so discussing your experience in detail in the PTCAS application wouldn't do much in terms of getting an interview, especially with state schools.

If you absolutely want to keep this traumatic experience to yourself, that's completely your right and no one should make you feel like you're making the wrong decision. However, if it's only a mild preference to not talk about it, I would encourage you to do as starrsgirl suggested and share a generalized comment on PTCAS. That way, if you get to the interview round and your interviewers want to ask about it, you can have the opportunity to explain. I only say this knowing the ridiculously competitive nature of DPT applications. Yes, your GPA is nothing to fret about by all means and your upward trend is a greater voucher for your true academic abilities. But once you get to the interview round, nearly EVERYONE around you has the same or better stats. So, if you are open to the idea of discussing the attack and its ramifications through your undergraduate career at your interview, who knows if that can end up making the tiniest difference in your admission decision (but the difference all the same).

If you feel like the idea of discussing it with interviewers would result in a lot of anxiety that wouldn't bode well for you, then maybe don't mention it in PTCAS or in a letter/statement to avoid being asked about it. But if you are open to sharing your experience with your interviewers in a way that shows the strength of your character, it can only be an advantage for you. You mentioned not wanting admissions to think of you any different from other applicants; in my opinion, they would only think higher of you as I do for what you have endured. BUT AGAIN. If you feel it would be too difficult to discuss, then by all means, ignore this whole post! This is a highly personal matter, and is completely up to you.

You're grades are fine, better than mine and I got in. I'd take both chems in the summer though. You would have 1 class to focus on and make sure you get an A. PLus you already had it so it would be easier. There is a section on PTCAS where you can explain your grades.