Explaining specialty specific research during GS interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A_UROLOGY_RESIDENT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to urology with general surgery as my back-up. I've got two sets of letters and two personal statements. However, 75% of my research experience is urology focused. I think it will pretty obvious to the GS programs that I'm applying to urology. I honestly loved my GS rotations and would be happy to match. Does anyone have any advice on how to best explain to the GS programs why most of my research is in urology?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you also doing urology aways? It's going to be difficult to hide those and if you lie and say that you aren't dual applying, they can probably easily figure it out (unless you don't apply GS at any of the institutions where you apply uro).

If they ask why so much uro research you can: 1) own it and explain that you'd be equally happy in either field 2) say, "I had an opportunity to work on an interesting project with a mentor who I knew has a history of strongly supporting students, so I took it. And we continued working together."

They will probably already know you're dual applying before they interview you, so the fact that they invited you means that they are willing to overlook it. Best of luck

Thank you for the great feedback. I am doing urology away rotations. According to my school, the programs will not see my fourth year rotations. I’m not sure if that is completely accurate or not. Or if it’s a good thing or not.

Thanks again for the feedback. I hadn’t thought about a couple of points you made.