Exploring options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

BeatrixKiddo

If I don't get into medical school this summer, should I go for dental school? Is it easier to get into? Like the DAT and that? Is that like backstabbing the medical field? Do you need to stay loyal to your field of choice and is the only way out in a box?

Members don't see this ad.

If I don't get into medical school this summer, should I go for dental school? Is it easier to get into? Like the DAT and that? Is that like backstabbing the medical field? Do you need to stay loyal to your field of choice and is the only way out in a box?
The average to lower tier dental school is comparable to the bottom tier of US MD schools and DO schools. If you have crappy perception, you won't do well on the visualization part of the DAT. In other words, look towards PA school or something along those lines, not dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
The average to lower tier dental school is comparable to the bottom tier of US MD schools and DO schools. If you have crappy perception, you won't do well on the visualization part of the DAT. In other words, look towards PA school or something along those lines, not dental school.

Well I think my perception is pretty good.

Dont apply to dental school unless you want to be a dentist. :thumbup:

Dude... you are a genius. Thanks!:thumbup:

Well, if you dont want to be a dentist and you are only applying as a backup it seems like a waste of time, effort and mental fortitude. Will you be happy as a dentist?

If you want to be a physician then make it happen. Post bacc programs can be a great step in the right direction.

Dont settle for something. :thumbup:

Well, if you dont want to be a dentist and you are only applying as a backup it seems like a waste of time, effort and mental fortitude. Will you be happy as a dentist?

Many, if not most, average Americans get into a career in order to finance their life. The average insurance adjustor or secretary doesn't work because they "love" it or think of it as their "calling". They do it because they have a life, and need to pay for things like a house, car, and vacations. They also only do 40hrs a week because they have other things they enjoy doing, unlike the average doctor.

I think that if you can tolerate doing dentistry, then go ahead and do it. You'll work normal hours, drive a nice car, and live in a big house. You can have a life.

Why not optometry? :D

Many, if not most, average Americans get into a career in order to finance their life. The average insurance adjustor or secretary doesn't work because they "love" it or think of it as their "calling". They do it because they have a life, and need to pay for things like a house, car, and vacations. They also only do 40hrs a week because they have other things they enjoy doing, unlike the average doctor.

I think that if you can tolerate doing dentistry, then go ahead and do it. You'll work normal hours, drive a nice car, and live in a big house. You can have a life.

Truee!!! If you are into procedural based fields then Dentistry isn't a bad option as a backup.

If you are good visually, which any skilled surgeon or dentist needs to be, then you will do well on the PAT portion of the DAT. The sciece portions of the test are much more straightforward then the MCAT as well so the DAT overall is a lot easier then the MCAT.

I have had several former classmates who have made the switch after not getting into medical school. I don't think they regret it either.

Also, if you are into doing actual surgery and not just general dentistry, there is a chance to become an oral maxillofacial surgeon and still get the MD somehow after dental school.

But only you know if you'd be happy if you made the switch.

Well, most average Americans do not have infinite options. So when options are limited, you take whatever pays the bills, even if you don't love it. Folks on this board are smarter than average, better educated than average, had a lot more breaks than the average American, and so simply have more options, and there is no need to settle. Additionally, most average Americans will not enter fields which will require substantial years of training, and then have fairly long work hours, so the expectation to like their job is not as pressing. The average American would define his life as what happens outside of work, whereas the average professional would probably do the opposite.
If you have the breaks and ability to become a professional, then you have the opportunity to find a career you will enjoy. If that's dentistry, then super. If not, then get back in the hole and keep digging for something you like better. The notion that "everybody hates their job" and "plenty of people do work just for the paycheck" is the battlecry of the defeated, and doesn't apply when you have better control of your destiny and choices, as most on this board do.

Well, most average Americans do not have infinite options. So when options are limited, you take whatever pays the bills, even if you don't love it. Folks on this board are smarter than average, better educated than average, had a lot more breaks than the average American, and so simply have more options, and there is no need to settle. Additionally, most average Americans will not enter fields which will require substantial years of training, and then have fairly long work hours, so the expectation to like their job is not as pressing. The average American would define his life as what happens outside of work, whereas the average professional would probably do the opposite.
If you have the breaks and ability to become a professional, then you have the opportunity to find a career you will enjoy. If that's dentistry, then super. If not, then get back in the hole and keep digging for something you like better. The notion that "everybody hates their job" and "plenty of people do work just for the paycheck" is the battlecry of the defeated, and doesn't apply when you have better control of your destiny and choices, as most on this board do.

While you bring in some good points, I'd argue that not everyone in medicine went in it because they felt it was a calling. I can think of several people I know that are good at ther job in medicine but did not feel it was a calling when they went into medicine. The point Tired is making is that irregardless of average or not average, a lot of people don't choose their job based on a calling of god.

You make a good point (as usual).

I just worry that for the pre-meds who have spent years believing that medicine was their calling, then don't get in. I'm not sure that they should wander in an emotional desert, expecting that their next career choice should have the same "calling" aspect that they associate with medicine. I still maintain that there are a lot of kids out there waste years of their life chasing medicine for this reason, despite the fact that they will (probably) never make it in.

Of course, I would also argue that this "calling" to medicine is largely artificial and culturally-constructed, but that's another thread.

While you bring in some good points, I'd argue that not everyone in medicine went in it because they felt it was a calling. I can think of several people I know that are good at ther job in medicine but did not feel it was a calling when they went into medicine. The point Tired is making is that irregardless of average or not average, a lot of people don't choose their job based on a calling of god.

Huh? I certainly wasn't suggesting having a calling (religious or otherwise). I think you may have totally misread my post. Go into a field you will enjoy, find interesting. You have more options than the average guy who is stuck with a job. Use them.

Why not optometry? :D
Ew.
Truth is, I really don't know much about these different fields.

hahaha!! Good question. For that matter, why not pharmacy?
Refer to my kid in a candy store of ATs thread.

You make a good point (as usual).
Of course, I would also argue that this "calling" to medicine is largely artificial and culturally-constructed, but that's another thread.

I'm suspicious of people who want to be doctors that emotionally.

Dude, I don't know guys. I just don't know. I'm watching Top Designer, this **** is hilarious. Poor Goil, so misunderstood. I have no freakin' idea what to do. I can't focus on one thing and just do that. I need to study for the MCAT right now but seriously gosh I don't know.

Medical school is a tough committment for someone who "Doesnt know"

How much easier is it for people who "know"? Don't patronize me.

?

Youre the one asking for advice "should I go to medical school or dental school?"

How ridiculous is that? How the **** should anyone else know what you should do?

"Should I go into surgery or anesthesia?" I NEVER needed to ask that. I knew.

HOW did I know? Because I researched the fields and realized that they are very different and I would only be happy doing one of them for the rest of my life.

At least if you WANT to be in medical school it makes the hours of studying and long hours in the hospital worth it. It gives you a little drive to push through.

Dont patronize you?

Dont waste other peoples time with your ridiculous questions because you are having a crisis about not getting into med school.

:thumbup:

Yea, I was also thinking about the last minute switch in graduate schools. Hypothetically, if you fail to get an acceptance in your first cycle, or just have a sudden change of heart and decide to apply to a PhD program, is it possible to salvage your letters of recemendation? I'd hate to have go back to professors/PI's after being vanquished, and I'd hate it even more if I had to get more letters.

I know, there's a horde of angry people screaming how medicine is only for the strong and stout of heart, and the very idea of keeping options open is on par with signing up to serve with the Taliban. But I'd still appreciate it if people had experience in the matter.
Thanks!