Finished SMP, failed to get in and looking for options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nightynematode

Reaction score
I completed an SMP and earned a 3.7 GPA but I still failed to get into medical school. I'm looking for work and meaning and I don't really know what to do. I don't want to start working and get stuck in a career that I hate. What are some options for someone like me? I don't necessarily want to attend school any longer. I'm still interested in healthcare/science but I feel like I'm grasping at straws. I was essentially told to give up on medical school or consider the Caribbean.

Members don't see this ad.

I completed an SMP and earned a 3.7 GPA but I still failed to get into medical school. ... What are some options for someone like me? I don't necessarily want to attend school any longer. I'm still interested in healthcare/science but I feel like I'm grasping at straws. I was essentially told to give up on medical school or consider the Caribbean.
Did you apply while you were enrolled in the SMP? What do your program directors suggest? With the SMP grades on paper, you should apply this upcoming cycle if your have the SMP faculty support. Make sure DO schools are included. Definitely missing details if you were told to "get sunscreen."

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you apply while you were enrolled in the SMP? What do your program directors suggest? With the SMP grades on paper, you should apply this upcoming cycle if your have the SMP faculty support. Make sure DO schools are included. Definitely missing details if you were told to "get sunscreen."

I applied at my SMP school and was rejected and was never able to get feedback. I have a lot of withdrawals from undergrad but I thought I'd separated myself from this with my SMP performance. Additionally, I have a minor IA I reported in my first cycle and I accidentally omitted it during cycle two (AMCAS investigated and I guess people now assume I'm dishonest). Furthermore, I started a PhD program and did terrible my first semester (I had health issues, thought I could withdraw but was misled and received failing grades; will not be returning). My fear is that I'm essentially "damaged goods" and will never get in. I cannot even probably get LORs now because I finished my SMP like 2 years ago. I just feel like I'm spinning my wheels and I don't want to waste a wealth of time.

My first cycle I received 0 interviews and in my second cycle, I literally only got 2 interviews. I'm not unwilling to try again but another failure would be gut wrenching. The only feedback I got was from Howard and they were worried about withdrawals (again, I can't fix this and it's a major reason I did the SMP) and the IA/AMCAS investigation (again, I can't fix this and it was due to simple error).

I applied DO this cycle, got secondaries but didn't finish them due to being flat broke. I'm expecting a tax return and wonder, should I complete the secondaries or keep my money due to how late it is? Technically, I don't think I've missed any deadlines but I know schools fill cohorts pretty quickly. I have secondaries at Burrell, Ohio University and Lake Erie.

Last edited:
I applied at my SMP school and was rejected and was never able to get feedback. I have a lot of withdrawals from undergrad but I thought I'd separated myself from this with my SMP performance. Additionally, I have a minor IA I reported in my first cycle and I accidentally omitted it during cycle two (AMCAS investigated and I guess people now assume I'm dishonest). Furthermore, I started a PhD program and did terrible my first semester (I had health issues, thought I could withdraw but was misled and received failing grades; will not be returning). My fear is that I'm essentially "damaged goods" and will never get in. I cannot even probably get LORs now because I finished my SMP like 2 years ago. I just feel like I'm spinning my wheels and I don't want to waste a wealth of time.

My first cycle I received 0 interviews and in my second cycle, I literally only got 2 interviews. I'm not unwilling to try again but another failure would be gut wrenching. The only feedback I got was from Howard and they were worried about withdrawals (again, I can't fix this and it's a major reason I did the SMP) and the IA/AMCAS investigation (again, I can't fix this and it was due to simple error).

I applied DO this cycle, got secondaries but didn't finish them due to being flat broke. I'm expecting a tax return and wonder, should I complete the secondaries or keep my money due to how late it is? Technically, I don't think I've missed any deadlines but I know schools fill cohorts pretty quickly. I have secondaries at Burrell, Ohio University and Lake Erie.
It's way, way too late in the DO cycle to apply.

Did you ask any trusted SMP faculty member for insight into your rejection? At my SMP, an outright rejection suggest very poor interview skills, or some other red flag.

Is there research at your SMP school? If so, try lab tech.

Or just get a job, any job, save your money, and apply DO.

Additionally, I have a minor IA I reported in my first cycle and I accidentally omitted it during cycle two (AMCAS investigated and I guess people now assume I'm dishonest). ... My fear is that I'm essentially "damaged goods" and will never get in. I cannot even probably get LORs now because I finished my SMP like 2 years ago.
The AMCAS investigation is a red flag. Not getting accepted into the home program also indicates a big problem with your interview or tepid support from your faculty.

I'm concerned you have a tendency to make bad, self-sabotaging decisions.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
The AMCAS investigation is a red flag. Not getting accepted into the home program also indicates a big problem with your interview or tepid support from your faculty.

I'm concerned you have a tendency to make bad, self-sabotaging decisions.

Given all of this, should I just go back to Pharmacy school? In order to re-enter Pharmacy school, all I have to do is reapply to the program where I took a leave of absence. It's not that I'm indecisive, I was just striving for something more without really weighing ALL pros/cons.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
OP I’m sorry you are facing this. Much of this, including the prior IA, your SMP performance, and your prior career directions, we’re covered extensively in your prior thread: After two unsuccessful cycles, I'm going to earn a second Bachelors

If something has truly changed since you last sought our advice please bump your original thread, but i am going to close their thread so that we don’t repeat prior discussion points

Status
Not open for further replies.