Exposure to Community Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

repititionition

Sure!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that the day-to-day "work" of doctoring is fairly different in community vs. academic settings...

E.g. I've often heard that IM in the community is nothing like the endless rounding of academics, anesthesia tends to be an ACT (supervisory) model in the community while tending to be a solo practitioner's art in academics, etc. etc. etc.

Does your school provide exposure to clinical training in a community setting? Is it possible to set up elective rotations in a community setting?

My question comes stems from the fact that pretty much from the start of the pre-med process, most students' exposure to medicine is in one practice environment: large academic medical centers. We by and large tend to shadow there, learn there, and then train there.

How do people know what community practice is like before jumping in to it post-residency?

Members don't see this ad.

We rotate at a lot of sites at my school (academic, county hospital, VA, Kaiser, community clinics, community hospitals, etc.). You'll get exposure to it, especially on your outpatient months. And yes, it's way different. I like things about both (community vs. academic).