Extending last two years of medical school....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Minea1010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just found out that I didn't pass Step 1 and it turns out that I have to extend my last two years in order to have time to study again.....:(

How bad is this as far as applications for residancy......

I'm planning on doing research during all that time extra that I have. I am undecided but know that I won't be going for plastic surgery, dermatology, orthopedics, or some of the other really competitive specialties.

My question is how are my chances of landing a position for example in psychiatry outside of my state?

Members don't see this ad.

So I just found out that I didn't pass Step 1 and it turns out that I have to extend my last two years in order to have time to study again.....:(

How bad is this as far as applications for residancy......

I'm planning on doing research during all that time extra that I have. I am undecided but know that I won't be going for plastic surgery, dermatology, orthopedics, or some of the other really competitive specialties.

My question is how are my chances of landing a position for example in psychiatry outside of my state?

You have to identify time off on your ERAS equation, and then explain what you did with it. Its obviously a HUGE red flag to have any interruption in your training. As far as explanation... "I studied for Step 1" probably wont cut it, and probable "studied for step 1, but hey, i pulled some charts!" won't cut it either.

Now, I may be propagating an urban legend (medical school legend) here, but I have confirmation in 4/4 cases of people who WERE in my year that a "year off for MPH or MBA" really means "cover for Step 1 Failure." More true of the MPH year than the MBA year.

I''m confused, why not replace your research time with step 1 studying time and not extend the last 2 years? Extending time to study for step 1=bad. Extending time to do research=good

The reason I am thinking of extending is because the time I will take to study for Step 1 again will make it nearly impossible for me to graduate on time and have time to interview and study for Step II.

I wouldn't take an entire year off to do something else, it would just be me spreading out my last two years over three years instead....

BTW, I know it is bad.... my question was more how bad?