Failed last class of medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reapplicantblues

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So yeah, dumb on my part, but I failed one of my final classes in medical school. It was P/F, and I remediated, but it's going to show up on my transcript as "Passed after Failing Previous Attempt." I've already matched - is this something my residency is going to care about or that is going to follow me when I apply for fellowship?

Thanks for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

No one will care as long as you have your diploma, which determines your eligibility for state licensure.

Reactions: 6 users
Happened to a friend. Due to a miscommunication with clinical ed, he didnt show up at his last rotation and failed. Didnt get a diploma until he remediated the month of june. He is now a PD at a major university program. You will be fine. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well this is scary. I have a must pass shelf next week lol

Happened to a friend. Due to a miscommunication with clinical ed, he didnt show up at his last rotation and failed. Didnt get a diploma until he remediated the month of june. He is now a PD at a major university program. You will be fine. Good luck and best wishes!
This is so reassuring to hear! Thank you!

I'm going to be slightly less reassuring.

If you were in our program, we would still honor your match. You'd graduate and start on time, this was unknown at the time of application or interview. But I'd want to know what the details were, and would sit down with you during orientation to discuss. If you failed a shelf and then passed, I probably wouldn't care at all. If you failed due to a professionalism issue, I'd definitely care. Our system is that "everyone gets a mulligan" for non critical issues. This might count as yours -- you'd be on notice that if there were additional or similar issues in the future, we'd move to a formal remediation plan rather than giving you "a second chance".

This will be very program dependent. It should not affect your match, and some programs may not care or notice at all. Honestly, that's probably the most likely outcome. Depending on the circumstances, I might consider alerting your PD -- better that they hear it from you, rather than discover on their own.

Reactions: 5 users

something something survivorship bias.

My program wouldn't even know if you pass or fail a rotation after the match, unless your rotation was at our hospital and words got around somehow. We just care that you get your diploma so you can get a license to start your residency.

Reactions: 1 user

If you were in our program, we would still honor your match. You'd graduate and start on time, this was unknown at the time of application or interview. But I'd want to know what the details were, and would sit down with you during orientation to discuss. If you failed a shelf and then passed, I probably wouldn't care at all. If you failed due to a professionalism issue, I'd definitely care. Our system is that "everyone gets a mulligan" for non critical issues. This might count as yours -- you'd be on notice that if there were additional or similar issues in the future, we'd move to a formal remediation plan rather than giving you "a second chance".

This will be very program dependent. It should not affect your match, and some programs may not care or notice at all. Honestly, that's probably the most likely outcome. Depending on the circumstances, I might consider alerting your PD -- better that they hear it from you, rather than discover on their own.
Do schools send MS4 transcript to residency programs after sending the MSPE?

Last edited:

.... why? Seriously.... Why.... he/she passed it after a fail... the OP is a matched ms4. Think back to when you matched, how much drive did you have? Quit the overbearing BS and don’t stress the person out. OP, same thing happened to a good friend, passed residency and his boards with ease and was even chief at his program.

Reactions: 5 users
Do schools send MS4 transcript to residency programs after sending the MSPE?
Part of our on boarding process is review of a final transcript. Schools don't send this automatically, but our program requests it.
.... why? Seriously.... Why.... he/she passed it after a fail... the OP is a matched ms4. Think back to when you matched, how much drive did you have? Quit the overbearing BS and don’t stress the person out. OP, same thing happened to a good friend, passed residency and his boards with ease and was even chief at his program.
Seriously. Since you asked, I completed all of my MS4 rotations and passed them, and in fact worked just as hard on them as I would have prior to matching. Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but I actually wanted to learn as much as I could.

As I mentioned, it would matter why someone failed. If they failed a shelf exam and then passed it, I wouldn't care. if they failed it for a professionalism issue, then I would care quite a bit. How is this any different from getting into Medical School, and then failing courses -- medical schools usually require some level of continued achievement.

Most schools make the electives in MS4 very difficult to fail. I can't think of the last time this happened to any of our incoming interns. So, yes, I'd want to know the details.

Reactions: 1 users