External hard drive

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1LuckyCookie4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I will be starting medical school in the fall and am looking to purchase an external hard drive for weekly backups of my documents. Anybody have any recommendations of products/brands they trust?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Never thought pre-meds could get this neurotic...

:rolleyes:

TBH, anything will do - you'll get a better answer reading reviews on amazon or newegg. You'll only get trolled asking this question here. Personally, I just emailed a copy of it to myself in my inbox or copy + paste it all onto my usb stick...

Never thought pre-meds could get this neurotic...

:rolleyes:

TBH, anything will do - you'll get a better answer reading reviews on amazon or newegg. You'll only get trolled asking this question here. Personally, I just emailed a copy of it to myself in my inbox or copy + paste it all onto my usb stick...

Lol thanks.. Im bored at work. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
You're going to get better advice on tech forums or from reading reviews on Amazon and Newegg.

But to answer your question, I've used Western Digital all my life and have not had a single drive fail on me. But then again, no brand is perfect. As a general rule, it's a good idea to stick with name brands such as WD, Seagate, etc..

Also physical backups are never entirely secure. What if your external drive fails? I would suggest moving your important documents to cloud services such as Dropbox, Google Drive, or Microsoft Skydrive.

If I could offer one piece of helpful advice, never purchase Seagate. That is all.

Whichever has the best ratings on Newegg. I made my own with a USB enclosure and a spare hard drive I had sitting around.

I personally love my Transcend -- there's a military grade drop protection version I've been using for years. I'm rather clumsy, so it's nice to know that I can just pop it in my bag and not have to worry about it :oops:

Unfortunately these days the only two HDD makers left are Western Digital and Seagate. You'll see other brands, but they're all owned by one of those two companies these days. Of the two, WD is the better one.

A couple points of interest though:

- eHDDs are just regular HDDs put inside a case with an adapter card. If you want you can just opt to buy a regular internal laptop drive and an eHDD case (cost about $7-15), save yourself a little money, and get a product that can be upgraded over time.
- If this is only for small files (word documents, PDFs, etc). and you plan to carry the drive around a lot (say every day from home to school) you'd be much better off getting a flash drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.