Externship or observership for FMGs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soxman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who is struggling to find an externship or observership position in the US prior to entering residency. How would he be able to get a list of hospitals in the US where they have open positions for externships/observerships. He has sent almost 200 emails but received only 2 responses. Any ideas?
Thanks
sOX

Members don't see this ad.

I have done an observership in a private clinic, I would suggest that person to go to clinics in his area and ask doctors individually, ideally it should be done in a hospital. But hospitals generally take medical graduates only. I myself also want to do observership, but I am also finding it very hard...

This link is only good if you're in your final year of medical school.

This link is only good if you're in your final year of medical school.

Yes true, after I opened most of their web site, it seem really hard to get into any, even when your paying for everything. I am ready to pay!:confused:
e.g. from Yale: "
U.S. citizens attending international medical schools are not eligible for the Visiting Student Elective Program." so that apply on the graduates too.:mad:

You might find observership spots. I dunno how to look for them, but I'm currently doing electives as a med student in Texas Medical Center and I do see some observers once in a while.

I called up about 10 practising physicians in my area and got one.

I also volunteered for research assistantship and then did a hospital observership after I got to know people.

I would like to know what do people get from their observership besides a LOR and some USCE?
dont you need to obtain some official letter from the hosting clinic/hospital so that it is part of your medical credentials?
I have been doing observerships and i am sure of all the LORs that i ll get... i am just concerned about the ' official' proof that i ll need to provide ERAS or the interviewing programs that i have done an observership..

i am saying this for the simple fact that i am in a position where i could almost get a letter of recommendation showing that i have done an observership without having participated in any.. see what i mean?

An observership is NOT USCE. As an observer you have no clinical interaction with patients and have no malpractice coverage which allows you to do so.

So while you may get an LOR from the experience, it does not count as USCE and as such does not need to be "proved" to ECFMG.

thanks for your reply..
then what about in the case of an externship? i have heard that the goal of doing an externship was to get a great LOR.. and how could i prove that i have done an externship to USMLE or ERAS? would i need to send them the 'transcript' from the place where i did my externship.. or just a LOR would suffice?

anyone who went through an externship.. please let us know..

In an externship, you're working along with the other students/residents and the goal is to obtain a strong LOR.

In an observership, you're merely watching (as you're not allowed to do anything clinically), so any LOR that you might obtain will be weak, at best.

If you're looking to "prove" that you did an externship, besides just listing it on your transcript (where it will indeed appear after all the necessary paperwork is done by your program), then yes, a strong LOR would help.

thanks blade for the insight..
the thing is that i do not care whether i have to ' prove' it or not.. but rather do i HAVE to officially prove it?
the reason is that medical school is not too keen on me doing an externship in the US and they seem for some strange reason upset with it. They eventually told me that I could do it but it wont be reflected in my transcript.

Therefore i will only have a LOR and a piece of paper from the respective institution proving that i had undergone an externship which wont be accepted by my med school.

should i submit the LOR alone or accompanied with the proof to the USMLE/ERAS?

thanks in advance

I wish i knew why.. they are pretty upset about the fact that i am taking some time off of their program and looking for externships as well doing research..

I really have no idea why.. sad but true..

There is no requirement for USCE (via an externship or otherwise) for USMLE, ERAS, ECFMG or NRMP. Thus you don't need to "prove" it to any of these entities.

The only places which might require "proof" would be US residency programs that require a certain length of USCE to apply to their program. IMHO in most cases, an LOR from the experience would suffice.