Externship vs Observership on ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

need4weed

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I know the difference between observership and externship is hands-on vs no hands-on. My question is, I did a 1 month observership in the US a couple of summers ago, but I had patient contact during the observership (history, physicals). So technically speaking, it'd be considered an externship, which would be slightly better than an observership on my CV. Officially though, it was an observership.

1. Under work experience, should I write that it was an observership or externship?
  2. If I write observership, would it be weird to write in the description that I had patient contact, considering it was supposed to be an observership?

Members don't see this ad.

I realize that, but what would be best? I do have clinical electives, but as an FMG I want to strengthen my application in anyway possible and it's usually said that electives >>> externship > observership.

Would a program actually want to verify whether it was an externship vs an observership?

I realize that, but what would be best? I do have clinical electives, but as an FMG I want to strengthen my application in anyway possible and it's usually said that electives >>> externship > observership.

Would a program actually want to verify whether it was an externship vs an observership?
Which part of "nobody will care" was confusing?

Reactions: 1 user