Externship Vs Observership

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IM03NY

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody see any difference between these two, I am sure both don't get paid, but how do they differ ?

Could anybody suggest a decent period( minimal) for getting a recommendation from somebody if I am to do a clinical placement, with them.

Thanks..

Members don't see this ad.

An observership generally only offers "observation", ie, no clinical contact. These are less desirable than any position, like an externship, which allows students/physicans access to patients and the chance to strut their clinical stuff.

Observerships are often the only choice available to those who cannot provide or cannot get medical malpractice insurance or who do not have adequate preliminary training.

As for minimum time acceptable before asking someone for an LOR, it depends on the quality of the interaction. I would feel uncomfortable asking someone with whom I had worked less than 1 month, but that is my own preference...case by case basis says I.

Thanks for the info Kimberly,

It's kind of surprising a lot of hospitals are very fussy about giving these placements for trainees, and they are very point blank about it.. So, I am kind of giving up on this idea.

Could somebody with experience suggest to me please -
Letters of recommendation, can we get 1 or 2 of 4 from somebody I haven't worked with, based in USA, like a character reference ??

('cos I am an IMG, have some LOR from my supervisors from my home country, but have some attendings in USA from other specialties who personally know me)

Thanks heaps..