FM Fellowship: Addiction Medicine vs Behavioral Health(Primary Care Psychiatry)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1078679

Hi all ! I am currently an IMG PGY-1 in FM residency
Old grad: YOG 2016, completed all 3 step exams now, got my step 3 score AFTER matching.
Matched into FM on first try in Miami. I applied to both Psych & FM. I ranked Psych first, FM second. Ideally I'd like to be outpatient & see mainly psych patients long term.

Does anyone have any knowledge on addiction and behavioral health fellowship for FM? I plan to continue to live in the city, not rural setting.

1. Would the scope of my practice after addiction medicine be outpatient only and only addiction (cannot see any other type psychiatry illnesses? (excluding depression & anxiety)

2. Would doing Behavioral Health in FM- can I work somewhere & only see psychiatric illnesses outpatient?

3. I have never heard of Primary Care Psychiatry Fellowship until now. Is that the same as Behavioral Health Fellowship?

4. Would I still be paid same as a PCP even AFTER doing those fellowships?

Please help. Any advice would be welcomed!

Members don't see this ad.

Behavioral health fellowships are trash. Nobody will contract you for inpatient psych, and insurance won't pay as if you were real psych. Addiction is best pursued as certification without fellowship. Why waste a year without getting paid when you could do it without one?

EDiT: I forgot. Don't confuse addiction medicine which is medicine with addiction psychiatry where you spend more time doing mood management, therapy, and other psych related activities

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you fo replying! Okay noted. So Addiction Medicine it is- I thought Addiction Medicine was for Substance Abuse treatment- I thought as FM resident, I would have to do a fellowship- did not know I could do a shorter certification in Addiction Medicine and get paid the same as doing a fellowship.I'd love to hear more about Addiction Medicine from any FM person practicing it.

Behavioral health fellowships are trash. Nobody will contract you for inpatient psych, and insurance won't pay as if you were real psych. Addiction is best pursued as certification without fellowship. Why waste a year without getting paid when you could do it without one?

EDiT: I forgot. Don't confuse addiction medicine which is medicine with addiction psychiatry where you spend more time doing mood management, therapy, and other psych related activities

Certification as the practice pathway to sit for addiction med boards or just doing lotsa suboxone?

Certification as the practice pathway to sit for addiction med boards or just doing lotsa suboxone?
Practice pathway preferably, but why not both? I think fellowship is best if you're looking for an academic job

Practice pathway preferably, but why not both? I think fellowship is best if you're looking for an academic job
Practice pathway is time limited as I recall. Was told we can't use residency patient hours to reach the minimum needed to sit for boards. And application window for applying for boards closes December 2025.

I might be able to just squeak by, but the 2024 class likely will not.

Reactions: 1 user
Practice pathway is time limited as I recall. Was told we can't use residency patient hours to reach the minimum needed to sit for boards. And application window for applying for boards closes December 2025.

I might be able to just squeak by, but the 2024 class likely will not.
They extended it last time. I suggest you get in on this a quickly as possible. No point in giving up your life for no money when you can get money and the board certification

They extended it last time. I suggest you get in on this a quickly as possible. No point in giving up your life for no money when you can get money and the board certification
I am getting in on this. My company is in dire need of SUD services.