externship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

priapoconstante

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I'm an IMG, and I understand that most of internal medicine programs request some kind of USA internal medicine training.
Does anybody know how could I get that kind of training? Do I need to complete a transitional year before I apply to an internal medicine program? or could I get a 6 months training somewhere in the USA without entering into a transitional year?
This is very important for me, since I'm planning to apply for an internal medicine program, and I don't have any experience working in USA hospitals.
I've read that maybe I could enter into an externship.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

hey
if u have already graduated med school then u cant do an elective or clerkship like normal med students. what u can do is an observership also known as an externship. u have to contact the student affairs office at the hospitals uwould like to work at. observership experience will only allow u a limited amount of experience since u will not be allowed to work on the patient. but u may be able to get letters of recomendation from US doctors which will help you when u apply for an internal medicine residency.
u dont need to do a transitional year of medicine to get an internal medicine residency.
if u r applying for 2006 then i suggest u try to do a month or 2 of observership at a US experience or some research work at a hospital where u would like to do ure residency. u will be able to make contacts who can always help u get into the same hospital when u apply for residency.
anyway i hope this answered ure question. try going to www.residentscafe.com and asking them as well, they r pretty helpful.
good luck.

priapoconstante said:
Hi everyone
I'm an IMG, and I understand that most of internal medicine programs request some kind of USA internal medicine training.
Does anybody know how could I get that kind of training? Do I need to complete a transitional year before I apply to an internal medicine program? or could I get a 6 months training somewhere in the USA without entering into a transitional year?
This is very important for me, since I'm planning to apply for an internal medicine program, and I don't have any experience working in USA hospitals.
I've read that maybe I could enter into an externship.
Thanks.

programs mostly require or actually prefer rather than require if u have some US clinical experience. some programs must have it, some only prefer it. if uve graduated from med school u cant get that expereince, but u can do an observership as i mentioned above in my earlier post. ive also heard about a program in NY where u canwork for a year and get this experience, but it costs a fair amount of money..dont know how much though. u can ask someone in residentscafe.com...they have a forum where u can find the post that talks about that. anyway hope this helps.

thank you very much, yahoo.
You really help me, since I thought I had to spend a complete year doing a transitional year.
thanks a lot