"Externship."

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dustbug10

Year IV
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel a letter silly using this term? Or extern? I certainly get odd looks from others. I suppose the intent was to use different terminology from other fields, but I don't think the meaning of 'externship' really applies to our 4th year positions at all.

:shrug:

Members don't see this ad.

For everyone's sake, including mine, I refer to it as a residency.

I also get odd looks so I try to avoid the word externship as much as possible. Hopefully this will be changed in the near future.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. Totally agree! How do you introduce yourself to patients when you are a 4th year? I say I'm an "audiology intern" and am reasonably happy with this, but would like ideas on a better term. To me, residency implies having the degree. I guess MD interns have the degree too, but it seems more junior than resident.

This is a great question. When speaking with others in the profession, I usually use externship as that is the common term that everyone knows. However, when speaking with those outside the profession, I usually refer to it as the clinical residency or internship year .

When speaking to patients I would usually try to avoid 'student' as much as possible. I don't want to mis-represent myself, but I also don't want them to think that I'm some noob undergrad. I would usually introduce myself as Chris and say I was a doctoral intern or resident. People are more familiar with this concept (and comfortable) than the idea of being seen by a 'student'. The doctoral part would usually make them feel more at ease.

Again, don't mis-represent yourself, but give them the confidence to know that they're in good hands (even if they're not.;))

i think externship is the most important thing after the studying.

It will clear your views and helpful for your future.

good luck

Last edited: