Extra classes...Retake ones which I got B's in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

prettyslick

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just graduated last year with 3.25 overall/3.15 science. I will be taking more classes to raise my GPA. I was wondering what you think about this:

Some of my few bad grades are:
Calculus C
Orgo I B-
Orgo II C+
Abnormal Psych C

Rest are all B's and A's
Human Physiology I got a B..Gen Chem II I got a B also

My question was: while taking extra classes, is it worth repeating classes which I got B's in? I don't want to retake it to impress adcoms but I really like Physiology and wanted to relearn material in Human physiology and gen chem (ofcourse goal is to get A) I would definitely repeat classes in which I got B- or below...but I was wondering if its a good idea (or bad idea) to repeat classes which I got B's in? Thanks.
 
Unless your 100% (not 99.9%) sure you can get an "A" then no, even then it is a toss up. A "B" isn't the end of the world no matter what you've been reading in the pre-allo forum. Another thing to consider is taking easy science classes or ones that are easier for your university (usually hearing through word of mouth) to raise your science GPA.
About the only way I would retake B's is if I was 100% sure I was going only DO (they do grade replacement not average) AND I knew I could get an A in the class AND I didn't have any lower grades to bump up first.

Of course that is my opinion, and you'll get many different ones on SDN.
 
It's just not that impressive to take a course again and go from a B to an A -- it's expected you would do better since you've seen it all before.

My advice is to look forward, not backward. Getting an A in upperlevel sciences like Biochemistry or Histology -- courses that build on your existing coursework -- would be more impressive and would do more to further your application than retaking courses you've already passed.

The only time I think retakes might be beneficial is if you're planning on applying to DO schools and can replace the grades. If you can get a significant grade boost by essentially wiping out the Cs on your transcript, then it might make sense. But even then I'd focus on Cs and lower and leave the Bs alone.